xmp files vs database

When I look at an arbitrary xmp file I see what looks like XML preserving a sequence of editing steps, presumably so a recent editing session can be re-instantiated without changing the original.

But If I delete or rename an xmp file and then re-open the original raw I see what looks like the end of my last session. So there must be a database of some kind too.

For difficult images I often like to re-edit multiple times. The only way I’ve been able to do that is to copy the original image to a new file name. Which is messy.

Re-naming xmp files instead (v1_1234.nef.xmp and v2_1234.nef.xmp etc) would be useful. If and only if I could open either xmp version without the database overriding my choice. Is there a way to do that?

Ok. Yes it looks like xmp files can override the database. I just found it in the manual. I’ll fight with it.

Multiple xmp versions for one image will be useful.

This is already possible, just use the „duplicate“ button in lighttable or the duplicate manager in darkroom (or press ctrl-d)

1 Like

There is no need to rename xmp files! Use the duplicate manager and you’ll get another xmp file on the file system.

Edits are stored in both the database and the xmp file.

@pittendrigh, this thread - Finding your XMP file - might be of interest.

The duplicate manager is quite new

but darktable can create duplicates since I use it (2013).