you can't delete the selected place

When using the “Add Library” dialogue it seems that I’m unable to delete/remove one of custom places that I’d previously added. A message gets flashed on the screen saying “you can’t delete the selected place”.

In this case that place is associated with a USB device that has now gone away. In that, there is no possible future use for that place. It was only meant as a temporary way to work on files located on that device.

As a relatively new user I suspect this could be caused by something I fail to understand about the way Darktable (Version 3.8.1 on Windows) works. However, it seems to me like this would be a scenario that fits the need to delete such places.

Try a right click on it??

Is it the last place in the list? I’m not sure it works with no places.

Sorry for the late response. I do NOT remember if it was the last place (i.e., only place) or not. However, after using DT some more I was able to delete it and that likely means I added some more places. I should be able to get into a situation where I can try the “Only Place” scenario again and see if it is predictable.

After having the same issue i was playing around and discovered a solution.
Lets say your places are:

• X
  • Y
  • Z

Lets say you want to delete X, if you select X in the “add library” options and then right click it you will get the message “you can’t delete the selected place”

If you select on Y and then right click X then it will remove X from the selection of places.

In my opinion it cant delete a place because it opened the directory after selection and then the error message is poorly worded.

Hope this helps future searches.