[Youtube] Basic Raw Processing

Hi there,

added a new video about basic raw processing. This video is meant for the beginner feeling overwhelmed by RT and is basically the getting started chapter of rawpedia (slightly adapted to my taste) as a movie.

Here’s the raw file if you want to recreate the results:
20170912T164452.RW2 (14.3 MB)
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.

15 Likes

Thank You. This is a wonderful video. Easy to understand. I watched many videos about RT but many are either not as inforamtive as I hoped (sometimes I had the feeling the authors didn’t really know what he/she is doing) or they are in a language I didn’t understand (sorry can’t speak french or indonesian).
But this video here is great!!!

1 Like

Thank you @Pepe, I am happy to hear that helped.

Your perception is the same as mine, when I started out I searched for videos on youtube and found that many are very random and not that informative and some using horrible images to start with. That is why I am trying to make more comprehensive, focused (and good looking) videos. Wether they actually are comprehensive, focused and pretty, I don’t know, but feedback like yours gives me hope, that I am not on a totally wrong track.
:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks.
I started playing with a tiff file I have but when I go to the raw tab it’s all greyed out, and I can’t do nothing on there.
Is it because of the file type (tiff)?

Exactly.

Edit: If you want to play with a raw file, maybe get one from one of the Play Raw threads.

If you want to play with a raw file, maybe get one from one of the Play Raw threads.

No need for that, thanks, I have the corresponding dng. The point is that this tiff is the resulting stack from a luminance hdr processing that I want to further process. I guess I should apply this basic settings you show in the video to the original bracket raws, then enter luminance hdr, then finally do some final adjustments to the resulting ldr.

@gadolf: Only the chromatic aberration correction is in the raw tab. The other tools I use in this video work on tiffs as well. And to correct chromatic aberration on tiffs you could use the defringe tool in the details tab.

Then you might be also interested in this: :smiley:
[Youtube] - Processing Exposure Blended Image

1 Like

I would do basic corrections, like basic exposure, white balance, defringing and denoise on the dng files and then stack.

1 Like

But then wouldn’t I be affecting the hdr concept? I mean, doesn’t the hdr workflow take care itself of exposure by stacking different exposure frames, thus balancing exposure on its own? Why should I adjust the bracket frames exposure before stacking them?

Fair question, and you are actually right. There is no real need for exposure correction unless you know that a certain part of one image will be selected for the exposure then you could adjust it beofrehand.
But you are correct.

I forgot to mention that I would also do the lens correction stuff before stacking, but that is my personal taste, could probably also be done later, but what is done is done.

Nice job.

Always great to watch how others do their work flow.

1 Like

@McCap Thanks – can you make the corresponding RAW file available, so beginners like me can follow along step by step?

Sure, I have added it to the first post.

Thanks! Makes the video so much better to follow along.

Hi’
A really great, easy to understand and informative video, thank you very much.
I was just wondering; isn’t some of the settings the default setting for a raw image, so that you don’t need to turn on the tool/setting unless of course you have chosen a non-default profile?
I have always thought that it is a good practice to regard sharpening and noise reduction as mutual exclusive. But that is not the case?

It is absolutely correct that RT can be overwhelming when you view the list of all the different tools. Maybe it would be a good idea to establish an “expert mode” featuring all the tools and a normal or even guided mode for new users.

Thank you for the nice words.

That is one important info I forgot to mention in the video and now added to the description of the video:
I do not start with the default profile but with neutral profile!