Zooming in/out in Lighttable looses selected image

Hi all,
I don’t know if this is a bug, a setting or just the way Darktable works, Darktable doesn’t zoom in on the selected image in Lighttable.

For example, you set the zoom level slider to value 6, lighttable will show a grid, having 6 images in every row. You select one of the images in the grid, lighttable shows a white border around the selected image, and then you set the zoom level slider to value 1, showing only 1 image, it does not zoom to the selected image. It seems lighttable always uses the most upper left image when zooming in.

I tend to go back and forth, zoom in and out to cull my images and this behaviour makes me loose track very quickly.

I’m running DT 2.6.2 on Windows 10 64bit.

This currently does not happen on got master on Linux. Not sure if it is a 2.6.2 issues or a windows issue.

@Dinobe.
In the center of the base of lighttable, there is a triangle.
On tapping you will see a box that contains three actions,

zoomable light table.
file manager.
culling.

Don’t know if that helps.

@ukbanko
I don’t have a culling option there, only file manager and zoomable light table…

I’ll check my Linux environment tomorrow and see if I have this issue there as well

Culling options are for the 2.7 beta only. They’re not in 2.6

I saw the same thing in 2.6.2 and in also in my current 2.7 version on Windows version. I recall @Bruce_Williams mentioning this behavior in one of his earlier darktable videos. It only happens when using File Manager view and scrolling the mouse wheel to zoom in. In Zoomable Light Table mode the mouse wheel scrolls to the photo the mouse pointer is hovering over. I tend to avoid File Manager mode and prefer the zoomable light table mode.

Didn’t notice Culling mode until this thread

1 Like

@Dinobe
Must apologise I’m on 2.7 dev.

Blockquote It only happens when using File Manager view and scrolling the mouse wheel to zoom in.

I noticed this behavior (= not zooming on the selected image) in the File Manager and dragging the zoom level slider. I’ll give the zoomable lighttable a test. As far as I can remember, I don’t really like the zoomable lighttable, but I’ll give it a try

@Dinobe, I can reproduce what you first describe on master in linux. It seems that on dragging the slider there is a concious intention of the software to keep one of the visible pics selected, but the anchor pic when zooming like this is always the top-left pic. Not necessarily wrong, just a decision made.

If you use the Ctrl-mousewheel combo to zoom, however, the pic under the mouse cursor will always be the anchor. That might be the best way to go.

Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit - darktable 2.7.0~git1739.0954325a5

1 Like

That seems to work indeed, it bit confusing, but I’ll manage