Darktable color picker Color names

Hy all
As i am slightly colour blind i sometimes rely on the colour names which are displayed in the Tooltip in Color Picker module. I am still struggling with some Colors like greens and browns. Is there somewhere some information about how those names are set?

you can see the color definitions in darktable/src/common/color_vocabulary.c at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
it’s following Perceptual color models | Chromatone.center but not strictly

I noticed a few occurrences where color names in darktable are inaccurate.

See this example where:

• panel annotated 1 is from darktable’s color picker saying color is “beige”
  • panel annotated 2 is from the chromatone website with same Lab settings as in dt and it says colors is “khaki”

I checked that the color are matching. The darktable color picker semms wrong to me in this case because the hue is clearly yellow-green, corresponding to khaki.

What is your histogram profile…The picker data changes with that and the rgb values change. No sure if that translates to the color associated. By default its rec2020 but many color references seem more routed to srgb…does the result change if you change the histogram profile… I can’t test it now and it might not but I am just curious…

I tested and the values does not change with my histogram profile (my default is sRGB).
And I checked on chromatone website and could not find a triplet with the name “beige”.

1 Like

Ya it was just a thought… I have mine on rec2020 and softproof at srgb… The picker will normally use the histogram profile and so if i want srgb then I just turn on the softproofing as then the histogram uses that profile…so its a quick toggle for when people are talking about 0-255 values on test images etc… the one other thing is that some display profiles can mess with the results…not likely in your case but because the data goes through the display profile before the histogram…which is not ideal there is the potential in some circumstances to see some clipping you can see that if you set the display and histogram profiles to rec2020…your image on the screen may look off but the picker values should be the same when you toggle between your display profile and rec2020 as the display profile…if they change then your display profile is clipping/impacting the data provided to the histogram and color picker … I think this is a complicated fix for the DT pipeline but likely one that should get fixed one day…

@priort Is it possible that your links are not working as intended?

Might that be the same problem that i came across yesterday when i tried to make a Colorwheel in Gimp with the colors described in the link posted from @MStraeten:

you can see the color definitions in darktable/src/common/color_vocabulary.c at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
it’s following Perceptual color models | Chromatone.center but not strictly

I tried to match some Colorwheel patches to the LCH Values from the aforementioned github link. But somehow when i checked the patches with the colorpicker the values were not as i set them. Maybe i should convert the Colorwheel to CIE Lab colorspace. Sorry i think i still dont quite get my head around those different colorspaces :see_no_evil:

When i read the Colorvocabulary on Github correctly it only describes the Value of L and h. Chroma is not in the equation for setting the names is that correct?

you’ve read it correct :wink:

I’ll delete that …to my knowledge I never sent that post and it seems like a jumble…