Help with photo denoise (underwater)

Hello,
I made some photos of an Oceanic manta and a Scalloped hammerhead in Egypt, but I am having hard time processing them. It is made on TG5, so no parade here, and taken fairly in depth on a high ISO (640 and 1600). Colours and not a problem, but denoise (and keeping decent sharpness) is.
Here are the RAWs:

This is what I was able to do, kicking local contrast and sigmoid contrast all the way up, denoise is done by profiled:

I posted the RAW on a local forum and DXo had way better denoise results than I:

second photo is the same url, but with 2.jpg at the end: Pixls does not let me to paste more than 4 links.

Would anyone be able to close up to the DXo with Darktable? I am using 4.2, not sure if there is anything significantly different in 4.4.
Thank you :slight_smile: .

2nd DXo image:

if you want people to play with your photo please see the play raw category and the “about” post of that category.

1 Like

The latest DT is 4.8.1. I am not sure if the images would benefit from the newer tonemapper and other modules that have been updated. I don’t think any major changes have been done to denoising but if your instance doesn’t say matching profile then maybe there is one now for your camera… I can’t specifically say that the latest version would yield a better result out of the gate but it might…

Also the newer version of DT has the DorS module and when you are using DXO its not just denoising is it but also sharpening isn’t it?? So that would have to be factored in…

In any case if you convert this to a playraw the users here can try to see what they can get out of the image…

Nice images !

Contrast is tricky. More or less straight forward with denoise profiled & color equalizer :slight_smile:

0826_104514_P8261270.ORF.xmp (20.6 KB)

And the shark

0826_144908_P8261552.ORF.xmp (17.5 KB)

2 Likes

I think the shark could be a little more colorful and the DXo looks too much smoothed to me.

0826_144908_P8261552.ORF.xmp (16.1 KB)

The DXO output looks like these are plastic fish. Anyway it is impressive how good it works, even so it’s over the top. Here are my suggestions. Still with a lot of grain, but in my opinion with a more natural look. A mixture with the DXO output would be probably the best:

0826_144908_P8261552_01.ORF.xmp (21,6 KB)

0826_104514_P8261270.ORF.xmp (24,3 KB)