Testing : Qt-based version of the G'MIC plug-in for GIMP

For gtk3 it was this:

#ifdef WIN32

// suppression of annoying error boxes
    SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS | SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX | SEM_NOOPENFILEERRORBOX);
#endif

Could also work for Qt

Edit: for reference

Edit: Kudos to @gaaned92 for his finding :slight_smile:

Ah thanks @heckflosse, I’ll try that !
The reference is quite funny actually, as it clearly states that the default behavior for this function is not what a Windows application should want to do. I wonder why they chose it as default then :slight_smile:

• 0 : Use the system default, which is to display all error dialog boxes.
    SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS
  • 0x0001: The system does not display the critical-error-handler message box. Instead, the system sends the error to the calling process.
    Best practice is that all applications call the process-wide SetErrorMode function with a parameter of SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS at startup. This is to prevent error mode dialogs from hanging the application.

Also thanks for all your replies, We’ll try to fix all the bugs step by step.
New pre-release binaries of the Qt plug-in will be posted today, hopefully !

@David_Tschumperle,

The latest zipped version gmic_gimp_qt (03-03 15:45) has an empty gmic_gimp_ qt.exe file. Is that correct?

You latest executable installation file (03-03 15:46 )also has an empty exe.file and also doesn’t work.

Your files from yesterday do work.

I’ve just posted new pre-release binaries for 2.0.0_pre version, both for Linux (.deb packages) and Windows.
Now, the Qt-plug-in has a dark theme included :

Please let me know if it’s better (or worse) than before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I like the dark theme very much. It seems to work nice.

The color picker has changed. Is a color wheel (or something else with opposing colors) also possible?

I asked earlier:

Separate slider reset in G'MIC-GIMP possible?

Is it possible now, to make this?

What I just posted at GIMPChat. Pretty good stuff, David. :slight_smile:

Both GTK and QT work great, David. Even the error messages in the QT version are now gone and it launches like you would expect (and it’s fast). The only problem I have now with the QT version is it keeps asking me to import favs and there are no favs afterwards. Regardless, the QT version runs the plugins at warp speed; impressive. :slight_smile:

I like the new dark theme too, iarga. :slight_smile:

Hi David,

Will it be possible to try compiling the plugin on Linux? I run an Arch-based distro (Manjaro) and I would really like to test this new plugin.

Sébastien

I’ve compiled the plug-in for Ubuntu-based distributions.
I can try on Manjaro too. We didn’t already release the source code for the plug-in, so I have to compile it by myself :frowning:

1 Like

Just for info, the gmic_gimp_qt plugin works in PClinuxOS Gimp 2.8.20 which bodes well for other distros.

I’ve just compiled it on Manjaro:

Can be downloaded from here : http://gmic.eu/files/prerelease/gmic_gimp_qt_manjaro.zip

(Interestingly, it seems this binary also works on my Ubuntu distro, so it may also work for other distros as well).

Great, thanks David!

It works here, though I encountered a problem with a dialog box popping up saying it failed to update the filters (it seems to try updating automatically by itself?) and a crash after finishing applying a filter (Illustration look).
I also got a message the first time I loaded the Qt plugin, asking if I wanted to import faves. I answered “yes”, but it imported only 4 faves (in duplicate in fact) out of 10+ I had set up from the Gtk plugin. The good news is that it asked me to import the faves only the first time.

So far it works as fast as the Gtk version on my system (not faster, not slower… though the Gtk version was self compiled using -march=native).

Hello David,

Just tested the new .exe installer on:
Windows 7 (64 bit);
Windows 8.1 (64 bit).

It works GREAT on both systems ! :slight_smile:

It is extremely fast and stable.
In addition, the new dark them is really cool as well :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for you hard work !

Works with Manjaro KDE 64 bits. Better interface than Gtk (not a surprise)
Thanks!

I’ve also posted some new binary packages, including ZArt and the Qt-standalong G’MIC interface (not a plug-in), for testing ! Do not hesitate to test !

Hello David,

Just unzipped the stand-alone version to try it.
It does not work.
The folder has 3 files:
copying
readme
gmic_qt.exe (around 7.487 Kb)

When I click on gmic_qt.exe (Windows 7 - 64 bit) a window message appears (it looks like libgcc_s_seh-1.dll is not available on my system):

BTW, the Gmic_CLI_pre-Wind64 version works fine instead :slight_smile:

Got that same error. Not sure what the issue is. :slight_smile:

@lylejk, @Silvio_Grosso : yes that is actually one of the .dll necessary to run the program, but I thought I’ve put it in the .zip archive for gmic_qt. You can try copying it from the archive gmic_gimp_qt64.zip to test. Anyway, I’ll add it in a new archive today. Thanks for reporting !

Thanks @sguyader for your feedback.
Would it be possible for you to send me your G’MIC 1.7.9 fave file, so we can check why the import fails ?
Same request for you @lylejk !

Would be nice if you could send me the file ‘gimp_faves’, which corresponds to the old way favorites were stored.
Thanks by advance !