2022 Year in review - post your favorite shot

Cat. Cool. Beautiful. I can see his (her?) iris behind the lens.

Ha, got me to go back through 2022, see what I did. So, I have to do a few, to represent the different things I did…

First, I have five different “Flowers” directories, so here’s a representative image:

Three cabin stays:

A boondock camping trip:

Fishing reconnaissance:

My favorite locomotive:

And finally, the baggage car restoration project:

Not too bad a year after all… :laughing:

11 Likes

I have to go with the camping shot. The colors are sublime. Very, very painterly. Plus, it’s got it all: Open spaces, trees, hills, clouds, perfectly gentle light… and a cool tent attached to your Tacoma! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! Except for our first trip to a mountaintop in the same region, we go back to this spot almost every year. Not spectacular, but quintessential Colorado…

My wife found that tent, made for SUVs but the boot fits just fine on the truck. Napier Sportz.

Beautiful cat!
Did you make your own bread?

This is just an iPhone travel shot, but I absolutely love the sentiment!

3 Likes

It’s from one of the local bakers (the one that does truly baked bread) (10 bakers within one kilometer, because Paris area).

1 Like

cat

I love the baggage car shot, Glen: textures, levels, geometry, it grabs me more than your other (also very appealing) pics here.

1 Like

Lots of landscapes here, which is what I generally shoot as well.

Just to make a change though, here is the leader of the Atholl Pipe Band at the Pitlochry Highland Games.

9 Likes

Here’s an animal portrait as well

25 Likes

I do all of my culling in darktable and I needed a way to track work in progress:

1 = ok
2 = definitely check this one out
3 = I’m working on it
4 = done
5 = I sent or posted it

Usually 3-5 are keepers, about a dozen per session, and the rest are deleted.

1 Like

My first post in this thread I made out of the moment, because I like the picture above very much.
But I think the picture below is my actual favorite from 2022. I am really fond of the light on the brick wall for example. And the teal & orange color scheme of the window is not a coincidence because it belongs to a movie theater.

7 Likes

With the risk of going too far off-topic:
1 = the photo is technically ok
2 = something I would send via social media to a friend as a anecdote or (funny) memory
3 = I would print this on a 10x15 or put in family holiday album or post them on social media
4 = I have no specific meaning for this
5 = portfolio, I would print this on a 70x90 and put it on my wall

it’s always interesting to see what other people do, maybe it might inspire me to change things

1 Like

Well, why not:

0: unculled
1: reject
2: keep for the memory, but not a good picture
3: good picture, usable for the family blog or photo book
4: great picture, I might hang this on my wall
5: one of my life’s favorites. Only ever awarded retroactively.

Seems a waste of the reject functionality if you are going to use a star for reject

It’s interesting how people use stars etc. I mark with one star for files to process. Randomly I may assign more stars to an image i like but it’s very rare and it has no consequences.

I have no use for best of the best type selections because for me they are always based on context. Images will be put together for various outputs. For a family photo album the selection of events and people is more important than the “quality” of the photo. A great photo may not make it because it doesn’t fit the context of the album.

When someone else is publishing my images the editor has their logic for selecting images, the best photos may not fit the text etc. So there’s always several stages of editing or curating where high level ratings become meaningless.

2 Likes

Maybe we should move the star discussion to a new thread, away from the showcase category? :innocent:

3 Likes

1400+ photos taken in 2022 and I chose this one as my favourite portrait photo.

Is Yiorgos Manolakis my teacher in the instrument he also holds and a very good player of it.

11 Likes

“Tortoise shell” color (random black-brown patches & spots) aka “tortie”, about always female, like the tricolor/calico ones.