3.0 How to get good results automatically?

I don’t think you need to abandon them, just make sire those modules come at the end of the pipeline, which by default they do.

Aurélien,
I have just finished reading your article (translated) spending more than an hour.
Time unbelievably well spent.
Thank you very, very much for all your efforts, which includes this “illuminating” article.

5 Likes

I too want to thank you for a very informative article - answered a number of questions I had. I used Google translate - did fairly well, and saved it to doc/pdf and included your links to your website. Happy to share a link to it if that’s OK, unless you were planning an english version on the darktable blog.

2 Likes

Thanks ! Sure, you can share, or better copy/paste it on https://hackmd.io/ so people can improve the translation and I can proof-read.

2 Likes

Yes, hackmd was what I was going to do… I’d be super happy to copy edit the English version.

1 Like

Thanks Mica - I’m at work and just heading into meetings. Here are the links - would you mind grabbing and posting to hackmd? I haven’t used that site before. And apologies my version is in .doc format and didn’t use opensource!

Fully translated version: darktable 3: RGB or Lab? Which modules? Help! - HackMD

2 Likes

Here is the article translated to English: darktable 3: RGB or Lab? Which modules? Help! - HackMD

2 Likes

I did not yet read the text very carefully but what do you suggest using instead of contrast brightness saturation in order to increase saturation?

Colorbalance, 2nd slider :wink:

2 Likes

I could help proofread if there is any need. Not sure how much time I have though.

ew the Google translation is wonky

I was able to read it, but I don’t talk English so good… :smile:

In the spirit of a quote from “Tongue and Quill”, the U.S.Air Force guide to speaking and writing: " ‘Write as you speak’ doesn’t work well if you talk funny… "

2 Likes

Not surprised. It was wonky back when it translated @David_Tschumperle’s material, esp. the more technical parts.

I will redo it with deepL tonight

While checking the pipeline order I opened a new photo ( with no sidecar file ) and i found that channel mixer is not at the end of the pipeline.it Is also before Filmic RGB. How the default pipeline should be?

Here is a comparison of boosting saturation with 3 different modules. I think the contrast brightness saturation module is really not the best, I especially dislike the way the blue shadows under the petals are oversaturated. But in this case, I like the saturation slider in the basic adjustments module best. Color balance is a bit too magenta for my taste.

basic adjustments:

color balance:

contrast brightness saturation:

@anon41087856 Thanks a lot for the time and effort to create this article – and for all the other work with darktable.

Some of the article left me as a newbee with confusion on a higher level - which is a really good thing.

The last part, on recommendation for “A minimal workflow for a beginner” and clarifying which modules we are advised to use and avoid with the aim of starting out with dt 3.0 in a “linear mode”, was pure gold.

Thanks a lot!.

(By the way, is there a bank account, other than PayPal, to which we can contribute?)

Why should it be at the end ? It’s a linear module. The default order is sane in that regard.

Here : https://en.liberapay.com/aurelienpierre/ Thanks !

Hi’ @anon41087856

Thank you for a thorough answer as always.
In the release notes it is strongly recommended to disable sharpening when using the RGB workflow. I think I recall that you in your new filmic tutorial used another tool to sharpen your images? But you recommend to disable the sharpen tool, do your filmic tuning and then do sharpening with the standard sharpening tool?

I’m surprised of your reaction to my statement that an raw image is “dull” when no type of s-curve is applied. I’m just quoting your very own words from your excellent tutorial. You demonstrate the need for filmic or base curve by showing a picture og some fancy modern architecture with the base curve and filmic module turned off: you get an image that is “very dull and very dark”!! I quite agree…….

I think it should be easy to open a photo in dt and get a good starting point for further editing. Expert users can choose to apply a lot of different tools but a new user needs or appreciates a good starting point. That could the image with the base curve applied (as it is now), filmic in auto mode or the new basic adjustments tool in auto mode.

Why has the new basic tool been released if not to make it quick and easy to do some basic editing? Therefore, I think that dt out of the box should open with the basic adjustments tool in auto mode.

I’m looking forward to study your article in the English version……

Everyone has a different module they want on by default. We should have as few modules on as possible by default and let the user auto apply a style or turn on what they want.

1 Like