3.4 installation on Windows 10

Hi

I have been looking forward to the release of 3.4 for a long time. So when I found that it was released I downloaded it and installed. No problems as far as I could see. When I started it a cmd windows flashed and nothing else happened. No darktable process was found, I found nothing in the logbook, no trace of darktable whatsoever. Next I started cmd and run darktable from the command line and I got the control back immediately with no comment or error message.

I removed the installation and reinstalled 3.2.1 which worked correctly so the database was not even touched.
Please tell me this is a simple, stupid error I can correct immediately!
I run an HP Desktop computer with Windows 10 Home Version 2004 Swedish

I installed 3.4 on my Windows 10 machine yesterday. I had to fight against a lot of malicious code warnings, but otherwise it installed without issue.

I cleanly uninstalled the old version to install version 3.4. Everything works very well.

Hi

I think I found the problem. You may notice that my first name has a special character. Once I was stupid enough to use it as my username in Windows. In the darktable-log I found this entry, as you can se the “ö” has been “translated”. Funny though that this worked in 3.2.1.

========================================
version: darktable 3.4.0
start: 2020:12:25 09:42:49

darktable.configdir: directory ‘C:\Users\B├Ârje\AppData\Local\darktable’ fails to open.’

=====================================================================

So I moved the config directory and the cachedirektory to a place without specialcharacters in the directorynames and this worked fine.

How did you tell dt where the new places are when it doesn’t start?

wrong answer canceld: you can tell darktable to use a specific configdir. See darktable 3.4 user manual - darktable

1 Like

darktable started but left only a note in the log file saying he could´nt find the configfile. So i created a cmd file with an alternative configdir and cachedir.

1 Like