3D LUT module in darktable 2.7 (dev)

I’ve changed the lut names list from combox to treeview list. This handles smoothly large file like gmic_cluts.gmz.

• scroll bar
  • filter entry
  • up /down arrow to change quickly the lut

3 Likes

Hi, I have build darktable from git, when I start it it shows 2.7.0 but I cant find the lut 3D module.
Is there some specific branch or something that I need to use?

Did you enter the 3D LUT root folder in the settings?

In case of dt master the module should appear the “more modules” list (no reason to fail).
The PR #2534 is not merged. One difficulty is the dependency on G’MIC which brings discussion in the dev team. For this version, if G’MIC is not properly installed (G’MIC library available) the module lut3d doesn’t start.

I fixed it, I think i was building other branch.

Compressed 3d lut are now available for lut3d module on dt master.

If you build dt yourself make sure you have the GMIC library at a version above 2.7.
For windows GMIC 2.8 is available on MSYS2.
$ pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gmic

For linux I’ve found it here for Ubuntu and Debian.

I don’t know anything about Mac OS. Hopefully somebody will help us on this.

You can download the up-to-date GMIC compressed lut file gmic_clut.gmz.

If you need to manipulate 3D lut file, GMIC can help you. You may find useful some GMIC commands above in this thread and at the end of this post on darktable site.

For performance reason the compressed luts are cached. Cache folder and cache files are shared with GMIC.

As somebody already said, enjoy.

2 Likes

There is an (issue #4076) with a build on opensuze and gmic 2.8.1-1.1

dt stops with this error message:

symbol lookup error: /opt/darktable/lib64/darktable/plugins/liblut3d.so: undefined symbol: _ZN12cimg_library8CImgListIfE6assignEj

Any help is welcome.

I’ve commented.

1 Like

@phweyland I wonder how is the gmic_cluts.gmz meant to be used in LUT3D? Can it be chosen in the LUT file parameter of the module? I’m on darktable 3.0.1 with GMIC 2.9 on Ubuntu but it only gives me the options of .cube and .png (haldclut). It says “invalid” when I select gmic_cluts.gmz.

Should appear in your file list as png or cube files do.
I’m not aware about G’MIC 2.9. For me the highest version should be something like 2.8.x…
You should have at least G’MIC 2.7 to make the compressed lut work.
Do you build dt yourself ?

1. which package are you using?
  2. it might be the package is not built with gmic support.

ok no debian or ubuntu version ships with a recent enough gmic version to build the gmic LUT support. so until someone updates the gmic packages on debian/ubuntu, you wont get it.

Oh sorry, what I have is 2.8.4.

No, I got mine via PPA.

As I install the GMIC package it put gmic_cluts.gmz under gimp plugin directory. I then tried to use this gmz library in darktable.

gmic_cluts.gmz should be under your lut3d root folder (as defined in dt configuration)

darktable needs libgmic 2.7.0 and all debian versions are stuck at 2.4.5.

1 Like

I tried to follow the advice given here to the best of my ability with no success.

$ darktable --version
this is darktable 3.2.1

$ dpkg -l libgmic1 | grep gmic
ii libgmic1:amd64 1:2.9.1-0bionic1 amd64 GREYC’s Magic for Image Computing - shared library

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS

darktable → lut 3D module → select folder → all files → select gmic_cluts.gmz (3.2 MB)

Resulting screen display in lut 3D module:
“INVALID >> gmic_cluts.gmz”

Any pointers?
Would the darktable docs benefit from detailed instructions on installing dependencies for the most commonly used linux distribution and instructions for managing and using compressed luts?
Where to download and place files in the file system, what are common workflows for managing compressed luts, where do I click in darktable to make it work? I have listed my UI workflow above with → arrows because I am currently not feeling well informed by the available documentation.

Thank you for any help.

@Drew welcome! How did you install dt?

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgmic1&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

you installed libgmic1 from a 3rd party repositories. distro packagers usually do not build against 3rd party repositories. also the OBS packages are only building against packages from the core distro.

and DT needs libgmic >= 2.7.0 and as you see in the search link no ubuntu release provides those.

Normally this message should appear only also when a lut file has been associated to an image and, for some reason, this file is not found any more.
Is your “LUT 3D folder” in configuration (still) pointing the right folder ?

Thank you all for welcoming me and for your quick responses.

darktable and libgmic1 are both from ubuntuhandbook1 ppa and libgmic1 is version 2.9.1, which is >= 2.7.0 as required:

$ apt policy darktable
darktable:
Installed: 1:3.2.1-0build1~ubuntu18.04
Candidate: 1:3.2.1-0build1~ubuntu18.04
Version table:
*** 1:3.2.1-0build1~ubuntu18.04 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/darktable/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.4.2-1 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

$ apt policy libgmic1
libgmic1:
Installed: 1:2.9.1-0bionic1
Candidate: 1:2.9.1-0bionic1
Version table:
*** 1:2.9.1-0bionic1 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/gimp/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1.7.9+zart-4build3 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

gmic_cluts.gmz is a proper file (not softlink) located in my user directory:

~$ find -type f -iname gmic_cluts.gmz
./Pictures/3dlut/gmic_cluts.gmz

I have set up Settings → Processing → 3D lut root folder to point to
~/Pictures/3dlut/
which is a proper directory (no softlink).
I am able to select and apply extracted png HALDclut and Fujifilm Xtrans III luts from this location.

What are OBS packages?

What are my options for installing a consistent combination of darktable and libgmic1 (and any other requirements?) under Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS? Reason for LTS: AMD OpenCL drivers.

Thanks!