5.5-rc1 curve behaviour

@agriggio this is awesome! thanks for the fix. Btw is this C++ or an RT-specific scripting language?

Thatā€™s C(++)

@stefan.chirila As you can see, itā€™s not that complicated. Join us in fixing bugs. :blush:

1 Like

@floessie @heckflosse well I took a C++ class in highscool many years ago ā€¦and I technically enjoy programming. I could get off my butt and check out the source code :stuck_out_tongue:

Was that a serious invitation? Iā€™d probably try to turn the RGB curves into two versions of them, one for just RGB, the other for just luminance and piss everybody off :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As release cycles are long you should definitely do that to get the latest greatest RT and report new bugs early.

Why not give it a try. Incubate the feature in your fork, file a PR, and weā€™ll see if itā€™s of use for everyone.

HTH,
Flƶssie

1 Like

Actually, I believe that some would love it.

2 Likes

@Claes the reason I thought they may not is that I mentioned it a bunch of times and people were quick to reassure me that the fact that there is only one instance, and you have to choose whether you want to modify regular RGB curves OR luminance curves, it is definitely not a bug but a feature. So Iā€™m like okayā€¦ guess people think itā€™s irrelevant and overkill to have both.

Now that being said, I get it, I have a history of editing in Gimp and that if I had it my way, RawTherapee would have a button next to each tool to add an additional instance of that tool, or a number of them, so one can have 4 or 5 curves (letā€™s say in the Exposure section), and that such a thing might be a little much to implement. As far as I am concerned, though, I am very happy that now there are 2 of them, rather than just the one that Lightroom has, and the more versatility in tool usage the better. RawTherapeeā€™s engine is great, and the more work on an image I can do in it, rather than export and open in another program, the better. I do a lot of portrait work, but not much involving cloning or other local stuff, though I am glad that the locallab is on its way to completion, and I will certainly use it on portraits once its there.

Since on this topic, just out of curiosity, according to the current way that things are implemented in RawTherapee, would it be complicated to have multiple instances of tools in the flow? Say how we have the exposure section; we can turn it on or off, would we be able to add another instance with the same content, to be applied right after the first, after which to continue with the other tools as per usual? I suppose it would depend on whether the pp3 file system is programmed to expect a certain series of tools in a certain order, or whether it is programmed to scan the file from beginning on progressively based on whatā€™s in the file and apply things as they show up.

I am aware that the people in the development team (for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration btw) are currently in the process of figuring out the feasibility and ins and outs of potentially saving the snapshots that RT allows to create (so that they are not lost once the file is closed and reopened); and this is why I thought it a good time to bring this up ā€¦if we are to modify the very way pp3 files work, rather now than doing it over again later. Now that being said I donā€™t mean to cause anybody unneeded headaches, and I am grateful for whoever bothers to write this novel I posted here and reply on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now this is very hypothetical, but if one wanted to start dabbling in the development is there a guide on:

1. How RT is structured? Which tools code can be found where?
  2. How to work on github effectively without getting on everybodies nerves?

@stefan.chirila: +1 on the double curves.

2 Likes
  1. From what Iā€™ve learned, RT mainly has two folders, one for the engine and one for the gui. Code for processing image dataā€¦ those are in the rtengine folder. Code for interface, thats in rtgui. There are tools for builds, rtdata for icons, font and sound. Other things also. Developers can fill in.
  2. by working on a branch of your fork and then creating a pull request when itā€™s ready for final review.
2 Likes
  1. Adding to what @HIRAM already said about the structure: An indexing IDE is quite helpful for approaching a new project.
  2. GitHub has very good tutorials for getting you started. Hereā€™s the basic one about forking.
2 Likes

Actually, one of our biggest headache is to merge 4 pipelines (thumbnails, preview, navigator, output) into a single one. Then will come the time to ā€œhave more funā€ with it :slight_smile: