A discussion on Reddit leaves me wondering...

I didn’t say they should be required to do that, I said I think you should be doing that. It’s good for redundancy at the very least.

Well I would never have to do that because I can use my TIFF.

That’s the whole point, you can argue as long as you like about how it should be but the reality is you only know what it actually is in that moment. The darktable devs could decide to pack up and go home tomorrow and if someone decides to take the reigns who knows what they’re going to want to do?

Meanwhile you could have raw files sitting on a backup drive from 10 years ago that you might have to refer back to one day. Sure it would be desirable to be able to load them straight into darktable and grab your edits, but I don’t think that should be the number one priority of development - but hey, that’s just me.

I’ll keep saving TIFFs just in case. It’s very cheap and easy insurance.

They seem to think you banned AP instead of deleting his account at HIS request.

1 Like

we didnt even delete his account. we anomynized it at his request. all his content can still be found on the forum.

3 Likes

I got the impression anonymization was the standard deletion process with Discourse unless someone did something REALLY REALLY REALLY bad, like “letting this stay will get us in legal trouble” bad. Which he didn’t do.

Yes, that is correct. By participating here you choose to prioritize the collective knowledge of the group. We try to maintain continuity as much as possible.

5 Likes