A Neural Algorithm of Artistic Style

Well, not so much to say at this point. At the lab, we have started working on the problem of style transfer (without the use of CNN or course :p). And we have asked David Revoy, a real artist, to help defining what is really a successful style transfert, and more generally what is the “style” of an image, etc… so we can try to model it mathematically, but from an artistic point of view.
That’s really the start, and I hope we’ll get something to put into G’MIC some day :slight_smile:

1 Like

GAOTD has such a tool for free being offered for today only, but from reading the replies on this mega-download, I think I’ll pass. lol

Regardless, maybe some of you more adventurous people who don’t mind risking their PCs crashing might give this one a try. I personally will wait for David to perfect the G’MIC transfer algorithm. :wink:

:slight_smile:

I have installed and uninstalled this “app” on Win7. It does some tricks, but looks quite limited and also half-made. Does not deserve to be compared to G’MIC, is my opinion.

After seeing some of their examples, I completely agree with you, Jacal. :slight_smile:

There is a new paper (22.03.2017) with a not painting style approach. Seems it is very good on lightning afterwards, like in night for day shots, or the other way around.
There are some functions about the method in it, but its all jibber jabber for me.
But maybe David Tschumperlé knows more about it and how to use it in GMIC.
It would be really great addition to Natron, and open source in general.
Adobe has got his fingers in it, so its likely to see in Photoshop, Premiere Pro and/or After Effects…

One of my hobbies is reading about image processing. It is a love-hate relationship because I don’t have a background in mathematics or programming, and as a non-scientist, I have limited access to papers, code and resources. In terms of papers, I really dislike the research (patent) paywall (red tape).

Anyway, here are some thoughts that come to mind after skimming through this thread:

• Machine learning (ML) is certainly a hot topic nowadays. What I am wondering is: Does G’MIC have the capability to address machine learning? If not, is it feasible to extend it to the point where it can? Or is there another open source project that could better address the problem?
  1. @iarga brings up a good point that shouldn’t be missed.

The genius of ML is that it can be adapted for (m)any type of problem(s). It doesn’t have to necessarily be about the transferring of artistic style. So, I think we can split the discussion into two problems: one about ML and the other about transferring artistic style. As @David_Tschumperle put it:

PS

• When it comes to ML, we don’t necessarily have to start from the beginning. There are many pre-trained databases out there that can be used with some caveats after some tweaking. It will be a compromise but a small community with limited resources probably couldn’t match their scale and quality.
1 Like

Something like this?

This looks like fun: GitHub - luanfujun/deep-photo-styletransfer: Code and data for paper "Deep Photo Style Transfer": https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.07511

3 Likes

those are very wow examples, almost useful dupont would say =)

Bah, @paperdigits beat me to it! :slight_smile:

Yes, anyone set up to do this stuff? - remember the Masashi Wakui look?.. wonder how that might turn out?..

At first glance, it looks awfully similar to color transfer or histogram matching, albeit with good-looking results. E.g.,

1 Like

I expect the day in which fred or imagemagick use neural networks

snibgo is quite active as well. Put up with a lot of my questions on the IM forum :blush:. Website:

I also expect the day that  snibgo use bash in place of batch :frowning:

Ahh, I didnt know that there is already a github existing to the papers I posted yesterday.
So thats promising :smile:

May be of interest:

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool!

Wow, I am speechless at those results (The whole thread).