a portion of the photo in the lighttable view is grayed out

I load the photo. I edit the photo. A couple of days later half of the lightroom image of the image is grayed out. Why?

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing please ?

I assume this is darktable ? What version and which operating system ?

I can’t find any. I deleted them all and then figured out that it was only the lighttable view because I got another grayed view (but I opened the jpg this time) and now I can’t find a sample.

You did not confirm if this was about darktable, but the assumption seems logical, so I’ve moved this into the corresponding category and changed the title to refer to the correct view name (lighttable, not lightroom).

Does this not happen if you reject an image…were you playing with filters?? But this would not be a portion so that seems weird…must have a corrupt thumbnail…could you just remove the image and import it again to see if it gets fixed?? or make a duplicate and see if that is fine then you can delete the corrupt one??

it is weird… it happens after a few days IF it is going to happen.

Next time it happens, please send a screenshot, as already requested.

Are you using darktable? What version? Intel GPU? AMD? Windows? Linux? I think in 3.8 there was an issue as you describe with the lightable in CPU vs GPU path.

well that might be so but it also happened in 3.6. We’ll see if it happens again.
I don’t (think I) have a gpu but here is what lsgpu says:

sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
subsystem : drm
drm card : /dev/dri/card0
parent : sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/renderD128
subsystem : drm
drm render : /dev/dri/renderD128
parent : sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

sys:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
subsystem : pci
drm card : /dev/dri/card0
drm render : /dev/dri/renderD128
vendor : 8086
device : 0106

My computer is an INTEL NUC (so not a real powerful computer) from 2011 and I run the current version of Mint (whatever that is).

You still have not told us what version of darktable you use (only, that you had the same problem in 3.8).
I don’t think the NUC has a GPU. You can check in darktable’s preferences whether it uses a GPU (OpenCL). Note that the screenshot is from 4.0, so it will not match 3.6 and 3.8 exactly, in case you use one of those versions:

the problem was with version 3.8 but because you said it is a known problem I’m going to put 4.0 on .

an image is displayed greyed out if it was rejected. You might check this by using the top left star filter:
Just filter for all but rejected images and check if they disappears

well… it iiiis only partially grayed out. like a quarter of it.

Well I think you definitely should start darktable on a console to track for errors. A nuc of that age won’t have an opencl device and will probably very short on memory. Maybe 4gb or even less.

Partly bad thumbs sound like mem problems.

I got 8 gig

And, following Hanno’s suggestion, did you get any error messages on the console?

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/program-invocation/darktable/

well… there are no grayed out images currently. I’l let you know if I get one. I upgraded gt to 4.0 so we’ll see.

1 Like