A Virginia Summer Sunrise

While waiting for the birds and butterflies to wake up, I had a chance to get a few shots of a lazy August sunrise here in Northern Virginia. Inspired by @s7habo latest video “How to deal with the colors in darktable, Part III”, I wanted to see what I could do with Color Calibration and Color Balance RGB to accentuate the details and colors. I was able to take advantage of the Color RBG highlights fall-off mask to boost the reds in the sky. I kind of went crazy with other masks, but all for a purpose.

_MG_9132.CR2 (28.0 MB)
_MG_9132.CR2.xmp (23.6 KB)

Creative Commons License
Virginia Summer Sunrise by Dave Goldberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

8 Likes

Gimp 2.10.24

4 Likes

verginia.summer.sunrise.pp3 (21.4 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

EDIT: added the correct sidecar :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

_MG_9132.jpg.out.pp3 (15.7 KB)
VISUALLY ADJUSTED WHITE BALANCE.

_MG_9132-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.7 KB)
AUTO GRAY WHITE BALANCE + FUJI VELVIA X TRANS 3 FILM MODE SIMULATION

1 Like

_MG_9132.CR2.xmp (11.6 KB)

3 Likes

I had a couple of tries at this. I found Filmulator gave me a better starting point. Then into GIMP. Huge increases in saturation, mainly in the sky. Slightly less in the remainder. Darkened the foreground a little to try and keep emphasis on the sky.

1 Like

It’s a beautiful scene. Looking mainly at the colors, I did only the simplest edits in dt 3.6. Not knowing how bright the original scene was, I left it with an early morning look.

_MG_9132.CR2.xmp (6.6 KB)

1 Like

GIMP Mantiuk2006 and Lab

2 Likes

_MG_9132.pfi (30.5 KB)

2 Likes