About choosing the right working profile

Yep.

2 Likes

Most excellent explanation!

Occurs to me while reading it, I think it’s important to note that the gamut compression campaign from camera → working → rendition space is really “one-way”, once a transform to a smaller gamut is inflicted upon an image, the operation cannot be reversed with the transformed image as input. That fine gradation of hues is now lost, and any attempt to recover it is just making stuff up…

2 Likes

The fact that TIFF sizes are identical for any profile just means they are uncompressed. Don’t know what export options RT has, but if doesn’t have one, there should be a feature request to optionally enable TIFF lossless compression (deflate w/ predictor).

Keep in mind that JPEG stores image data in YUV form, so what would be useful would be to compare the U and V histograms.

But looking, roughly, at the ProPhoto gamut (just eyeballing it) in comparison to Sony’s S-Gamut3 - they’re pretty similar and as I mention above, S-Gamut3 is simply too wide for an 8-bit container. Rec. 2020 seems to be about the limit before things start really breaking in my experience, and even then, might be pushing things a bit too far.

2 Likes