Adding Custom Working Profiles

Could anyone tell me the difference between a Gamma Curve of say 2.2/1.8 and a Tone Response Curve (TRC) ? …i have tried everywhere to get a definition but with no luck.

This post needs to be included in Rawpedia !

In ICC-land, the TRC can be a number of constructs, of which gamma is one. “TRC” refers to whatever tone modification mechanism is included in the profile.

Thank you

S [quote=“samuelchia, post:67, topic:18022”]
Anyway, @Keentolearn did you manage to figure out how to add your own “working profile”? Guess what, in a different thread I was dealing with a different problem which required me to also do this, which I have never done before, and thanks to your asking here, I was able to successfully do this after some mild struggle.
[/quote]
As a courtesy to all of you kind people who took an interest in my wish to add a custom working space to RT the result is as follows:

1. i finally got the .json shell working smoothly as workingspaces.json
    2 I instructed RT preferences as to where i placed the workingspaces.json file for inclusion as a working space in the Combobox. There was no problem…i even varied the destination from RT’s choice of profile (.json) location ( 334/338 Rawpedia) to creating my own location (eg…Mac OS PICTURES) for workingspaces.json…again no problem…RT preferences teamed up and registered the location alterations seamlessly.
  2. When I double clicked the workingspaces.json file the RT program was immediately and successfully opened up…no matter where on the directory tree i had chosen to locate workingspaces.json
    4 we know that custom working spaces can be added to combobox…already proved
    5 i however have not been able to place my custom working space in my combobox
    6 the question is ;
    How can i have a defective workingspaces.json file if it is successfully able to open the RT application ?

Anyway thanks :pray: to all…I can now be absolutely certain that I can ,at least and at last, avail of RT’s superb sizing tool and return to Photoshop without having to convert or assign profiles (.icc land) or working spaces at any time(s) between RT and CC.
I also learnt a vast amount from this thread and to you kind people I offer my gratitude and best wishes.

Matt

I am having the same trouble (I use Windows 10). I created a workingspaces.json file in notepad and saved it as ANSI text.

My colour profiles are all in the system directory which is what is pointed to in RT’s colour management preferences. The relevant profile appears in RTs list of output profiles, but despite the below json file I can not get it to appear in the list of working profiles. The .icc is in the sysetm folder and not in RT’s list of output profiles so the program does go to the right place to
find it.

The system directory is C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\ and that is where I have placed workingspaces.json. I even put a copy of the json in C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\iccprofiles\ but that didn’t help either.

Here is the json:

{"working_spaces": [
    {
        "name" : "LargeRGB_elle_V4_g10",
        "file" : "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\LargeRGB_elle_V4_g10.icc"
    },

]}

Try double backslashes, I.e. c:\\path\\to\\file.icc

Thanks for the thought, but alas that didn’t work.

what does the console say? (set Verbose=True in your options file, and run with -w IIRC)

I assume I just add Verbose=True to the bottom of the file, with no heading. All I get is this.

CA correcting 4896x3672 image with 2 tiles per thread
CA correction took 1341 ms
Demosaicing 4896x3672 image using AMaZE with 2 Tiles per Thread
amaze demosaic took 2335 ms
WaveletcontAllL took 13 ms
WaveletcontAllL took 12 ms
WaveletcontAllL took 13 ms
WaveletcontAllL took 79 ms

Hi Everyone
I have found more reasons to use RT at the beginning and again towards the end of my workflow. I need to be able to switch applications without switching color spaces.Custom Working Profiles are recommended in Rawpedia (page 325) and appears easy Enough to do by means of a small workingspaces.json file and a minor alteration in the preferences Color Management section of RT.
Could someone look at the problem that I have in that i am unable to place my custom working profile in the Working Profile combo box.
My .json file is perfect but ends up in the Output Profile combo box…wrong box!
Directory for workingspaces.json is:MacintosHD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays/workingspaces.json
The profile itself needs to be lodged separately in that same directory…
It would be super if the Working Profile Directory could be revealed So that we could simply drop our profiles and .json files down into it in an easy and transparent way.
I think that RT has awesome qualities and i would really appreciate if someone could rectify this directory error and would look at RT as administered by MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 in terms of directory management.
Thank You

Hi @Keentolearn,

I am just curious: if you use RT at the beginning and at the end of your workflow — what do you do inbetween?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Not as strange as it sounds Claes - I’ll process in RT, export to Photoshop as 16bit ProPhotoRGB TIFF, do a small or large degree of colour dodging/masking etc and save the multi-layered TIFF to archive.
When I’m finished with the image I might well spawn off a copy and flatten it, then send it back to RT to uprez via Lanczos to a 60" print file.

It’s all a question of using the very best tools for the job :thinking: :smiley:

Hi Matt - with your working spaces being in Displays, are you trying to use your monitor profile as a working space?

The working profiles in RT are hard-coded

I think they are not really hardcoded, but in a file that you can’t access from the GUI, but can edit with any text editor. And it’s documented in RawPedia.

If they are able to extract the profile from their display, I can’t see why they won’t be able to add it to the working profiles list.

A completely different thing is if that would be wise or not.

The shipped working profiles are hardcoded:

Though using workingspaces.json you should be able to add your own working profiles.
I never tested that…

1 Like

I have tested it with my custom camera profile and it works

But you’re right. I missed the point that I didn’t check where those bundled profiles came from (I took it for granted that they were automatically added in a workingspaces.json file). Sorry

Hi Claes

Andy explained what is possible far more eloquently that I ever could!
Matt

1 Like

Hi Andy
I use the Displays directory because RT (Rawpedia Page 325/8 ) tells me that
Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays is the home directory for json files (and the J. Holmes working space profile too) . As you know and in addition, one can nominate any directory in RT/Preferences/Colormanagement in which to place the two files.

In photoshop and ACR ,I nominate Holmes as my working space which means a smoother transfer of data right up to printer stage.
Andy it was so refreshing to read the description of your workflow!..exactly what I am focused on achieving. I do my own printing and I want a 60 inch just as you are doing.Thanks for the encouragement!
Matt