Adding Raw Support for OM-5 in Darktable

I recently got an OM Systems (formerly Olympus) OM-5 camera and discovered that while the camera is in the lens correction module, darktable cannot read the raw files.

There is a pull request in the rawspeed library to add OM-5 support. It’s not clear to me what additional work needs to be done to complete this, but I’m happy to help if someone can point me in the right direction.

My questions are:

1. Is there anything that I can do to help push this PR along to get the OM-5 raw support added?
  2. In the mean time, is there a good way I can process the OM-5 raw files with my own build of darktable? Would I need to build rawspeed based on the PR above and then point my install of darktable to my custom rawspeed?

For context I am comfortable with github, but don’t have too much familiarity with darktable development.

Probably not, unless there is something specific listed in the PR that you can do.

Yes you can pull the commit in the PR into your version of the rawspeed source, then build darktable. Darktable includes rawspeed as a submodule in its source repo.

1 Like

For a custom build procedure see OM-1 Support in Darktable - #51 by sugarbravo

1 Like

Thanks, I’m attempting the install instructions from sugarbravo, but I’m running into some issues with getting the linux package dependencies for building darktable installed. I’ll make a separate thread for that.

To consolidate information from multiple threads, here is how I built darktable from source to use OM-5 raw files on Ubuntu 22.04 (thanks @kmilos and @sugarbravo for the directions):

• Install the exiv2 maintenance branch (from source) for OM Systems support (ie. clone the repository, checkout the 0.27-maintenance branch, and then follow the instructions in the readme to install from source).
  • Run the command here for installing the minimal dependencies for darktable with libexiv2 removed (since we already installed it from source).
  • Follow these directions from sugarbravo to install darktable from source. However, first add the entry for the OM-5 camera into your src/external/rawspeed/data/cameras.xml (in your cloned darktable repository) from the OM-5 PR in rawspeed.
  • Now you should be able to run /opt/darktable/bin/darktable and the version in the top left corner of darktable will read 4.2om1 (or 4.2om1+dirty if you built it twice like me :slight_smile: )
  • For convenience I created a desktop shortcut by copying the /usr/share/applications/darktable file to my desktop and then modifying the executable path (by opening it in a text editor)

Now I’m realizing that the kit lens for this camera (12-45 f4 pro) isn’t automatically recognized in the lens correction module because it comes in as an “OM” lens while the lens correction profile for it is filed under “Olympus”. Not sure if that’s a lensfun or a darktable issue.

1 Like

If the lens is the same as the one in the lensfun db and only the name is different, then you can use an ~/.exiv2 file to map the correct name.

1 Like

It looks like OMDS started rebranding existing Olympus lenses into OM System ones…

@Jesse_Cambon Could you post an ORF file somewhere, taken with OM-5 and 12-45mm lens?

@sugarbravo yup, that does appear to be what is happening. I am now wondering if they will do this for all their lenses or just the newer ones like the F4 pro lineup.

Raw file attached:

P1070038.ORF (18.3 MB)

1 Like

Thank you for the sample. It seems rebranding extends into lens’ firmware as well. Will probably need to copy lensfun entries for Olympus into OM System ones…