Adventures in learning DT (DarkTable)

I think that’s a good idea

It is split!

Sweet, thanks.
Yeah I think I will embark on a journey to make myself more familiar with Darktable. My undying love is still dedicated to RT but gotta expand my horizons.

I found it hard to settle on one of either rt or dt a couple years back, but then dt got diffuse or sharpen similar (and with added versatility) to rt’s capture sharpening, dual demosaic and improved highlight reconstruction algos. Those things convinced me to stick with dt, which already had great colour and masking tools.

1 Like

I have been using RT and DT for over two years. I like Rawtheeapee for its ease and speed of use with ready-made automatic profiles and great sharpening tools. In the case of the DCP profile, where we have perfect colors according to the camera, editing the photo is instant. On the other hand, I like Darktable for masking and that’s probably it. The biggest challenge for me in DT is getting good colors and sharpness. Also if I care about time I edit in RT, and for fun and pleasure in DT

2 Likes

DarkTable can be a beast to master, I’m not there yet, but considering the tutorial videos on youtube and the written material on it, it can be done. Yes good colours can be achieved, though not out of the box, and sharpness too :slight_smile: Good luck on your journey; I for one will stick with RawTherapee for now.

1 Like