Advice for new PC

There exist configurations with RAM. True, it is above my original price range but I realized I gave to adapt it. But still form factor plays an important rule due to place constraints. :cry:

I will have a look at the yoga you mentioned.

@kichererbse

What kind of things do you want to do? For example, if you want to edit images with darktable, that’s what I wanted to do. My pictures are quite large, but my xeon workstation has 128GB RAM. Still darktable was not able to calculate my gigapixel photos.

So there is always the question of the available input material and the desired output, to decide what can be the right system or software…

Besides the usual office stuff, it is editing my Z6 Raws with DT. In addition, i started getting more into 3d with Blender. So far no high end GPU/CPU needed but a small form factor computer allowing decent photo and 3D work.

Ok, these are probably normal things that you can still handle on many systems. Darktable itself is quite resource hungry, but that won’t be the problem in the end…

Why do you want to leave Apple when you could get an M1 for the money, which could be an optimal system for your request?

Well it is basically the GPU performance which does not seem to be competitive to NVIDIA.

Looking at the blender benchmarks there is a huge difference. (https://opendata.blender.org/)

Ok, for me it was the case that I don’t like noise from fans and such. I didn’t find a (passive) graphics card that had enough power and so I could only put together a silent workstation.

edit: By the way, I also found problems with the opencl support by nvidia. Here there are bugs in the drivers and partly you must fall back on older ones.

I would also check something like that beforehand

Are you using a Mac then?

Good point on the drivers and open cl support. I will check.

No, my last was MacBook Pro, but i am more flexible using my workstation now. By side i would like to have M1 or M2, yes

1 Like