Advice needed - good mid-range Android smartphone camera

also consider

• how long will you get android updates for your phone?
  • how regularly do you get them?

and of course … opencamera is great

2 Likes

And App like this needs network access and preventing the phone from sleeping???

Seems silly.

1 Like

That’s what I tried to raise with my last post, this whole smartphone ecosystem is fundamentally flawed, and our hands are completely tied, no freedom at all.

Did you try to remove those permissions? Does it still work?

It didn’t ask me for those permissions… or any at all.

I do not install apps with questionable permissions.

and i think network access does not really need to be requested it is on by default.

Here is an interesting video about Android updates. After watching it, I am much more relaxed about whatever version I have!

Thanks, @shreedhar.

However,

Operating System level security patches aren’t quite as automatic yet. They do still require input from manufacturers…
(@ 2:27)

That’s my main concern, not feature updates, which I agree, from the video, that we can consider irrelevant, given the current Android architecture.

For how long will Google itself and then the manufacturer release security patches for my three, four years old OS in my three, four years old device?

Still not comfortable…

EDIT: When I think, in comparison, that I’m writing this in this old 2013 laptop and I’m totally up-to-date in regards to OS… I get angry :angry:

Most Android One devices give you 2 years of monthly sec updates. if you are lucky you got 1-2 more years with updates every 3 months and then you are out of service unless someone does a 3rd party rom for it.

1 Like

Checkout https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caddish_hedgehog.hedgecam2&hl=en_CA likely based on open camera but so many options …full dslr control set…of course in theory…

I often don’t bother to edit the raws from the pixel…I take them just in case but they are so good that it is not worth the effort to try and improve on them esp just for regular shots and keep sakes

not my experience at all… at least the pixel2 produces ugly jpgs, it’s very easy to get much nicer results when starting from the dngs.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that you can and I can’t say I have a 3a…the wb is a bit cool in the jpg but the tones and sharpness are hard to replicate with a raw without significant time and what I really mean is I am sure you can make each photo better but if you go for a hike and take 50 or 60 pictures its not worth the time to process them…the gain for me is not worth the time…I’d rather hike more .:wink:

One more thing to keep in mind: the 48MP, 64MP, and larger resolution are likely “Quad Bayer” (or other trademark names depending on vendor) sensors. Though the sensor sizes are quite nice with these (e.g. 1/1.7") and should give decent dynamic range in their binning modes (12MP, 16MP etc.), I’m not aware of any phone that’ll actually give you this binned DNG output even if they support Camera2API well. It seems they only provide a “remosaiced” one with possible artifacts.

so does open camera? and I am quite happy with open camera. why would I pay for that?

I don’t pay and it has all the features working…maybe i have just not used a restricted feature yet…

that’s a good argument… On the other hand, I usually process less than 4-5 pictures per hike – most of my shots go to the trash can as soon as I get back home :wink:

For sure composed shots or really interesting ones…I likely need to cull more…I take a lot of shots in case of Alzheimers in the future but then I won’t remember what or where they are any ways…:grinning::grinning:

@shreedhar My wife ended up buying a Moto One Fusion (not the Plus).

I shot this one with the default camera app, which I like very much. It’s either minimalist and with a nice, modern look besides being very ergonomic, specially on manual mode. If it had exposure lock I think it would beat Open Camera, at least for daily usage.

IMG_20200926_160808244.dng (22.9 MB)

(This file is licensed under a CC-BY-NC 4.0 license)

OOC jpeg

My edit (not so easy as it should be, not sure why)

IMG_20200926_160808244.dng.xmp (17.2 KB)

EDIT: A very strong vignetting, btw, where I lost some time trying to tame it. I found tone equalizer better for that, at least on this image.
EDIT 2: The detail is very good and beats my old DSLR kit lens.

Congratulations @gadolf. This model is not available in India! Only in Latin America and the Middle East countries. Does this model also has Level 3 Camera 2 API enabled?
I am sure that you know it, but still wanted to point out that you can edit raw photos in the powerful Snapseed app (on your mobile). It has vignette correction built in. It is very easy to use.

(and also @priort): HedgeCam has a ‘Donate’ button in the app, but is free and open source.
HedgeCam download | SourceForge.net and GitHub - nucular/hedgecam-mirror: Git mirror of HedgeCam 2 by Caddish Hedgehog aka alexxxx82