Affordable 13" laptop for travel

As a rule of thumb; I always back up my hard drive, delete any sensitive info off of it before giving it to someone for repair, and once I get it back I swiftly wipe it clean and reinstall (Linux :stuck_out_tongue: ) on it.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with them. Seems like they are quite the scum of the earth of a company. I’ll use them for photocopies and buying printer paper, but just about that. Too bad.

1 Like

My travel “laptop” is a sluggard Surface 3, a castoff from my wife’s journey finding just the right computer. Particular to the current discussion, it has a rather decent display, right at sRGB gamut.

Emphatically.

Same here, other than I couldn’t use Linux for my son. :zipper_mouth_face:

The question is, what you mean with “accurate” colours.

As far as I understand colour management, depending on the selected rendering intent, colours are changed with respect to the “original” colours, thus I would call them inaccurate on the display. E.g. for the perceptual intent all colours are changed so they fit inside the destination space (in our case the monitor’s space), preserving the overall colour relationships.

Hermann-Josef

Calibrating your monitor is the act of measuring the different between a know, measured color and the color your monitor displays it. The resulting color profile that you load as your display profile is a list of those differences. Your Operating System’s color managent system then uses that color profile to correct the monitors color to that of the known, measured color.

By “accurate” I mean that the color that is supposed to be displayed on your monitor actually is. So if I show a square of color that we know is R66 G32 B89, that you can measure that color on the monitor and the RGB reading is the same.

This is different than your monitors’ display gamut, which is the number of different colors that your monitor can display.

You can get a wide gamut monitor that covers Adobe RGB, but if you never calibrate the monitor, you’ll see lots of different colors, but those colors probably aren’t accurate.

@paperdigits
I use 2 calibrated monitors, an EIZO with AdobeRGB gamut and an ASUS with sRGB. Colours appear different if I shift an image from one monitor to the other, due to the different colour spaces. Measuring the colour with colour picker on both monitors gives different values for RGB, So I would assume this is the value actually sent to the monitor after correction using the monitor’s ICC-profile. In RawTherapee I see the same reading on both monitors, although the colours appear different! So here I conclude that this is the value actually stored in the TIF file, i.e. the colour one is aiming at. But this means that if you adjust the colours to your taste, the exact result will depend on the monitor you are working on. This is what I wanted to point out.

So what is the “correct” colour? I would define it as the value stored in the TIF-file, but this may be outside the gamut of monitor or printer. Then the colours are subject to changes by the colour management in order to give a colour on the monitor or the printer as close as possible to the “correct” colour – depending on the settings of the rendering intents.

Hermann-Josef

I checked the 2-in-1 laptop I have, it’s a Lenovo Yoga L380 (20M70001). It comes with a 13.3" IPS touch-enabled display, Intel core i5 CPU, 8 GB DDR4, 256 GB PCIe SSD, and an active pen. It’s small but feels quite sturdy
Not the most affordable when new but check on second hand market.

You also might be able to find one of the macbook air’s on the secondhand market. They’re usually pretty light/portable and not awful for light computing. Double check the ability to install linux on it, though (I think the most modern ones have some issues?).

If you really want to be portable I suppose you could even find one of those odd 11" models too. They’re super-petite.

(You may want to also pickup an external drive with more space - the Airs usually show up around 128GB or 256GB SSD).

I think some Surface tables are cost effective and support Linux. One needs to double check though. Also you will need an external keyboard for it which can be pricey (Microsoft accessories are not cheap)

I forgot to say, last time I took my Yoga on vacations, I fit easily in the room’s safe, so 13/14" should be small enough

Really? :smile:

He stays in the treasury.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there are hotels where an adult fits in the room’s safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, no. RT would lose a really good contributor if @sguyader would stay in the treasury.

He is either wealthy enough to afford those hotels or the country’s national treasure, but we are talking about “affordable” laptops aren’t we? :slight_smile: segue~~ Interested in what @Ofnuts settles on.

Sorry guys I got locked in my room’s safe, trying to make sure the 13.3 inch laptop fits :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes