afre's G'MIC diary

Sometimes it is best to leave it alone for a while so your brain can come up with a solution on its own. If you keep looking at the problem all you see is the problem and not the solution.

Hi!
I am afraid I don’t have a lot of picture that are at the same time noisy, with details and structure, and with wide dynamic range.
You can find some of my noisy images here, maybe some images will be ok for you (I think DSCF7337.RAF has all the criteria, but that might be the only one): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EaVApc2U-PlvwCeZT3A-xkqePOeA282f

Addition processing yields sharper structures: noisy, previous, sharper

Sharper looks sharp but is more abstract. With one greater unit radii.

Now the crayons look like he sharpened them: :grin::

1 Like

@s7habo Is that a cheerio?

Also reminds me of rough cuts found on a palisade, marshmallow stick or stone age tool.

Status update

– Fixed a couple of afre_gui1* copypasta bugs.

– Explored a bit of multi-scaling with @Iain. Wasn’t impressed by what I saw. Rather than remove the low freq splotches, introduced more problems (patterns, haze and halos). Back to reading papers and pretending to understand them.

1 Like

My English is so bad that I don’t know that animal. That’s supposed to be beaver. :thinking:

:joy_cat: Was referring to the American breakfast cereal (bottom right).

On the left, there is a mini stargate.

1 Like

Straighter hard edges, rounder soft ones.

1 Like

Seem like you’re getting to the point where you’re solving it, I take it?

Not by a long shot. :sweat_smile: :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: In fact, the method I used on sample pencils noise 40 cut 0,255 destroys @Iain’s sample image.

This much simpler method is more consistent.

Original

“Denoised”

Noisy

pencils-1-og

“Denoised”

pencils-2-dn

1 Like

I think that’s about the best that is possible. If I attempt to denoise using my own brain, the denoised result is how I envision it. However, on the right-bottom corner, it’s not how I envision it though.

Update
1 afre_compare Added a tile mode. axis is now called layout to accommodate it. Several more to do items for this command. :wink:

afre_compare:
    crop={ 1=once | 2=twice },_layout={ x | y | z | tile },_normalize={ 0 | 1 }

Crop then compare selected images interactively.
  Default values: 'crop=1', 'layout=x' and 'normalize=1'.

As usual, wait several hours before updating your commands.

2 I am going to let go of my “denoise” efforts for now. I use scare quotes because the motivation was to see how far I could get with my afre_gui* in a minimalist way. It is mostly because my tank has been empty for some time. More time + effort ≠ success.

1 Like

Awesome update

1 New afre_sdpatch Similar to variance_patch but an improvement. Was about to call it “afre_lsd” for local standard deviation but you know.

2 Feature afre_edge now has a parameter method that allows user to choose between afre_gnorm and afre_sdpatch.

As usual, wait several hours before updating your commands.

2 Likes

Regrettably, when I refreshed my system, I forgot to back up user.gmic. About a year (and a half) of R&D and private commands gone. :sob: Oh well, no use complaining about it. I can rebuild based on my other *.gmic files.

Back up your stuff please!

Oh jeez. :anguished: That’s no good at all.

Unfortunately, the G’MIC plugin only reads from user.gmic and not the imported *.gmic files. Initially, I made sure that I only used it for testing. Over time, I started writing directly to it my notes, tests, filters and commands. That was 1.5 years ago according to the last backup’s timestamp.

My fault for not backing up more regularly and laxness for writing into the one file that I forgot about but I hope that the plugin dev would consider what I requested a long time ago, which is to allow the plugin to read imported *.gmic files, which I keep them on my data drive. That would save me the hassle of backing this one file and keep all of my G’MIC files together. What do you think @David_Tschumperle?

I second the motion of having the plugin read imported .gmic files. I actually would like to have separate .gmic because it’s a little messy to work with user.gmic. It’s not too bad, just not ideal, but ok.

P.S. both gitlab and github will give you free private or public repositories.

1 Like

Hard linked user.gmic and started pushing it to a private repository. Was time consuming to set up. Now I just need to automate the process.

Now to rewrite stuff starting with the “denoising” command. Terrible memory but I am good at making things up. Good thing I can retrace this diary and compare the results.

1 Like