"Analogue Style" in Digital

My fun on GIMP, nevertheless I prefer it like this

1 Like

@TonyBarrett The timing of capture is on a level with Martin Parr - very well done!

2 Likes

I would have preferred more contrast but tried to keep to the brief of a ‘film’ look. (BTW, i would have used a smaller aperture as the island is not sharp.)

2 Likes

Good point on the Aperture. I’m never certain how sharp I should keep the background or foreground in these shots, though here there’s plenty of separation already so no need for out of focus areas. Also, I guess it’s only slightly out of focus, which indicates a mistake

1 Like

@martbetz Agreed.

Bass rock from North Berwick? Greetings from Edinburgh! Lovely shot by the way (sorry, just wanted to say hi, no edits!)

1 Like

Very close. Sea Cliff Beach, below Tantallon Castle:

Taken the same day but the light is going the wrong way (annoying!) so had to work the image a bit too hard. Best to get there in the morning, I think

And greetings from Edinburgh, too

4 Likes

That’s really a lovely beach. I’ve been there at sunrise in winter and I can confirm the light is amazing during that time of the day!

7 Likes

Lovely

My “analog” version.

20230824_0182.RW2.xmp (15.4 KB)

1 Like

It has a tweak with the new rgb primaries so it might not load if you try to grab the edit from the Jpg

3 Likes

Cool

Boris is preparing a video… I think @jandren is preparing to integrate something similar in to the sigmoid module to help with tricky gamut and smooth color transitions

1 Like

Zoomed in to 200% I see around the rock island either a weird dirty lens pattern or a lot of birds.

1 Like

Is this analogue style?:

20230824_0182_01.RW2.xmp (20.6 KB)

or not so analogue but more towards what I would prefer:

20230824_0182.RW2.xmp (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

Your processing is great! :+1:
Anyway, your edit shows it very well for me: i prefer modern time’s camera capabilities and i most of the time don’t see any sense in degrading picture quality.
Even so I often desaturate some parts (or specific colours) in a picture to pronounce things, I like colours and in my opinion the World is and should be colourful. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Without trying to reflect any particular style I decided to play with the visual impact of this photo.
I made a selection of the boys and increased the saturation. Inverted the selection and reduced contrast and saturation. All done in GIMP and just for the fun of it!

1 Like

It’s one of the world’s largest gannet colony

I’m pretty clueless re: film simulation, but I started with a Kodak Ektachrome simulation in ART and went from there:

• Desaturated slightly in the L*a*b* Adjustments module
  • Pushed WB warmer
  • Skewed highlights yellow, mids cyan and shadows blue
  • Tried to simulate some haze / distance to the island by raising highlights some, mids more and shadows even more to reduce contrast (through a gradient filter on the top of the image)
  • Added some additional luminance noise
  • Added 1 pixel Gaussian blur
  • Added a reasonably strong vignette
  • Added ISO 200 film grain

I thought about seeing if G’MIC has some wrinkled paper and / or photo border effects but decided against it.

20230824_0182.RW2.arp (18.1 KB)

3 Likes

World’s largest northern gannet colony. Bit clearer in this one from a boat.

1 Like