Another looking for a decent RAW/DNG smartphone/mobilephone/cameraphone

I know that the iPhone 13 Pro can save raw files as DNGs with the Halide app.

OK…thank you - and I just found that Gimp 2.10.25 (I think) and above can open HEIC files

HEIC identifies a HEIF container (ISOBMFF) in which a still image is coded with HEVC method (or H.265) . They are all ISO standards.
But, as usual, the spread of these standards are thwarted by the licenses burden.
Apple adopted HEIC in 2017. It’not a raw file.

1 Like

aha… yes…well I should have known that as they are way too small anyway…to be a raw that is…

and while looking on the www for ways to clean up my huawai p30 pro images from either dng or the pro mode jpegs using lightroom mobile, rawtherapee or darktable I found that Fuji cameras also are famous for the funky worm like artefacts in their raw files…as the only one in the real camera world it would seem. I haven’t found any mention of it in this forum searching fuji artefacts raw - but was a big enough issue for Adobe to make an enhance details mode especially for raws fra Fuji in their Camera Raw application for PS back in 2019. Has anybody in this forum perhaps found a solution using darktable or rawtherapee. I would love to hear from you…

Try some of the different demosaic aligo’s to see if any are better…if you go into art or RT and use the RL sharpening …crank up the radius and you will see it…not sure if it comes from some computational thing on your Huawei…but it might…I would not have thought if would be in the raw files though

DID you post one of these files yet…ie the raw with the artifacts???

Are you evaluating in RT with sharpening on?? Try turning it off for me I find this is the source of a lot of that type of artifact

Hi - yes I let RT (or ART) do its thing… But I will try and import/load without any sharpening and see…

Capture sharpening on RT seems okay. I would have to go back check again but I know that on my phone images the basic sharpening used by ART lead to wormy artifacts…at least at default values

@paolod Ok, now thanks to your tool I finally managed to process some Pixel 4a raws from holidays and I must say I’m impressed by the dynamic range. So now I fully believe you when you say the Google Camera raws are composed from multiple frames. Although nowhere as sharp, the photos I get from my GX80 do not offer such DR by any means.

Finally I had a bit of time looking at the sharpening and the many different demosaicking (UK spelling?) choices in RT - as suggested - to see if the worming artefacts from the Huawei sensor could be removed/used to produce a sharp Jpeg. I must admit I couldn’t find any which worked better than AmaZe. On googling huawei artefacts dng or such like I landed on DPReview where a pp3 had been uploaded - and I tried that. It was a definite improvement as to removing the artefacts (which I have not managed to do myself in RT)- but the compromise was a good deal of softening which seems more like smothering/mitigating than resolving the problem. So not that much further.
DNG in RT without loading the pp3 from the www with normal capture sharpening + AmaZe

DNG with the pp3 loaded