Another plea for help recovering unreadable NEF files

Have posted before but thought I had better start new topic and delete other post.

Please can someone help me. I have deleted files that I now need so went back to card and deep scanned and found the images required. But they cannot be opened. I assume they are too far gone but still trying to see if I can at least get a thumbnail. Have downloaded GIMP and darktable but neither work. Have also tried Recoverit. Can someone please point me in the correct direction (if there is one!). One of files uploaded here.

_VAR1700.NEF (11.1 MB)

Hi @Brenda and welcome!

No, you are not left alone :slight_smile: I read about your problem yesterday and downloaded your NEF to see how it would behave on my machine.

Unfortunately, exiftool reported File format error, so I am not much wiser.
Are all your NEFs about 11.1 Meg?

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Thank you for looking. They are all around that size.

I was able to retrieve other photos from the card but none from the date I need. :frowning:

@Brenda Welcome to the forum!

Lost or damaged belongings, specially of sentimental value, can hurt a lot. I have tried numerous things to recover your sample file and have come up short. You probably need to do smarter recovery, some of which has already been discussed in Recovering corrupted .nef files. Might be too advanced for you but worth a try.

In the meantime, try

With it, I was able to recover the preview. It is a very blurry image, so I don’t think it would hurt to post it here.

NEF

The date stamps and names of your files might be broken as well, so don’t go by them. Unfortunately, that means you would have to sift through the photos one by one.

1 Like

Well done, @afre,

This shows that you are more skilled than I am (grrrrrrr).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Wow! I am so grateful…

But this is also very funny because that photo isn’t one of the ones I thought it was. It had the right date although I am now doubting myself so need to go back to the card again. Could the date of the correct picture have got muddled with another photo. Am really confused now.

And thank you for the welcome. What a lovely place this looks.

For testing recovery tools, you might want to make an image file which is a bit-accurate copy of the card. Under linux you can easily do that with the standard tool “dd”.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I saw another reply from you re darkable and already have that downloaded on my machine. Is there any reason why I should use linux instead please?

I suggested just to make an image file of your sd card. This will help in case your card finally breakes completely. With a bit by bit copy of your card, you can test all sorts of recovery programs.
Such a bit-wise copy can easily done with a standard linux tools (dd). Certainly, there will be also Windows programs for this task.
Of course, you can run darktable under Windows as well as under Linux.

This is all in the other thread. In @Brenda’s case, what I am gathering is that it was an accidental deletion. This makes recovery quick and simple, provided that the files of interest weren’t touched. But the mangled sample file indicates some overwriting going on. Making an exact copy via an imaging app is still the wisest move because the more you use the SD card, the higher the chances are of overwriting the deleted files.

Make the image and then conduct your recovery a) on the image which should be b) on a separate physical storage device. People new to this often make the mistake of continuing to use the SD card, so make sure you think about what you are doing first.

Thank you. That does make sense.

Unfortunately it wasn’t an accidental deletion in that I had got the files on my hard drive and jpegs on a third party system. My hard drive failed and I stupidly didn’t worry about salvaging these files. Later we deleted files from third party system due to GDPR and believing they were finished with. But later (much later) realised we needed one picture! Really, really stupid of us but not much can be done now, apart from searching cards that have been written to several times since. So not holding out much hope, apart from fact I found the files with correct date on, only for them to be a) terrible photo and b) wrong session. :joy: But I am enjoying the challenge of learning all of this new stuff.

Thank you everyone.