Ansel, a photo organizer software for linux

I agree that Shotwell is a bit unexciting. But take a close look at digiKam, which has many of the features you mention, including Light Table and diff view. I use this as the primary app for my workflow, with GIMP for heavyweight image manipulation. Between these two I get pretty much all the functionality I need, although I also use Hugin for panoramas and Luminance HDR when necessary.

Good luck with the development. I’ll certainly give it a go and keep an eye on progress.

@m0g Hello, any progress/changes?

1 Like

Still working on it.

Have you had the opportunity to try it?

Not yet. I’m not on Ubuntu, I’m on Arch Linux and I don’t know if it will work straight.

If you are familiar with node.js, I would suggest you build the app from the source.

I don’t even know what it is…

Just a little update, I’ve released ansel v0.3.0

In this new version, the various C++ libraries upon which Ansel is built are now bundled within the app. This will increase the overall payload but also ensure that Ansel will work on various Linux distributions.

Reading XMP tags in photos is now possible thanks to the exiv2 library.

Please feel free to test the application with the provided binary and don’t forget to open a GitHub issue if something isn’t working as expected.

@sguyader I’ve tried with the latest binaries and it works on Manjaro linux (arch linux based).

Thanks

2 Likes

Cool! I was playing around in my Manjaro system with no luck. Will download it and give it a go. Thanks!

@m0g cool, I’m also running Manjaro. I’m going to check the new build.

1 Like

@sguyader Manjaro High-Five!!

Hi guys,
just to let you know, the version v0.4.0 of ansel is out. For now there is only one build for ubuntu 16.04.

Here is the summary of the new functionalities:

• Picture flag toggle
  • Delete picture(s)
  • Action on several pictures
  • Scan for new tags
  • Grid layout for library view
  • Arrow navigation for library & picture detail view
  • Splash screen
  • Header bar
  • Styling for welcome page

As usual any input is welcome.

2 Likes

Hi, I am wondering if there is a review of the piece of software posted anywhere.
Is it any different from e.g. digikam ?

As far as I am concerned there is no review of this piece of software.
It is a pet project that I’ve spent the last year and a half working on. So far I have only advertised it here.
The point being that for now it is highly unstable and thus only suitable for testing purpose. Still I use it for my photography.

Otherwise how it differs from digikam, I do not know. I have very little experience with digikam and I’ve always found it confusing. The aim of this project is to provide a clean UI for you to organize your photos. It relies on non-destructive editing.

The technologies is also very different, being a web developer by trade, I rely on electron.js, C++, javascript, HTML and CSS for writing this project.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this and for the comments. I am sure you already have an image of how you want the final product look like but if you are ever out or inspiration you can take a look at Windows Live Photo Gallery and Google Picasa. Picasa is already dead. WLPG will be dead soon. But them both have some neat features. DigiKam is the most feature rich DAM program by far but it might look confusing for some users. Also it probably has too much features which slows it down.
Geeqie has some neat features too.