Any idea what causes this error? - Cannot write xmp file - Bad file descriptor (Win10 build 3.4.1.1)

1. Welcome to the forum!
  2. Please write in English. Use a translator (once) so other forum members don’t have to (many times).
  3. Please don’t necro-post (don’t resurrect old posts, especially not with a question that has little to do with the original topic).
  4. Please read the manual: (Google’s translation to Portugese): https://docs-darktable-org.translate.goog/usermanual/4.4/en/preferences-settings/storage/?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=pt&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp#xmp

===

1. Bem-vindo ao fórum!
  2. Por favor, escreva em inglês. Use um tradutor (uma vez) para que outros membros do fórum não precisem fazer isso (muitas vezes).
  3. Por favor, não faça necro-posts (não ressuscite postagens antigas, principalmente com perguntas que tenham pouco a ver com o tópico original).
  4. Por favor, leia o manual: (tradução do Google para português): https://docs-darktable-org.translate.goog/usermanual/4.4/en/preferences-settings/storage/?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=pt&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp#xmp

Hi,

I started noticing this error since I upgraded to v4.6.0 on Windows 11. I have my collections placed in a Drobpox issue, so this makes sense with the sync process.

I have also noticed that I usually get this message when I move a slider during a certain amount of time. When I make changes by clicking the slider I do not ususally get those kind of messages. Furthermore, some modules seem to be more prone to cause these messages than others. The new RGB Primaries modules is where I find it more frequently. But it could also be that, because it is new, I tend to play with this module sliders more than others.

But as I said, with the same computer settings I never noticed this message on v4.4.x.

Some people have reported mysterious file-related problems on Windows, which then turned out to be some Windows process (such as OneDrive sync, Windows Defender or an antivirus) locking files darktable tries to write to. Maybe check if one of those could be relevant for your case; if possible, exclude your image collection and darktable’s config from such processing.

1 Like

You probably have autosaving of development enabled. Thus you happen to see it after some idling time. See the manual for this.

Thank you,

The configuration that is closest to what you say is the following:

But the tooltip says the number is in seconds. And the time it takes to get this error seems more a question of milliseconds. I tried both to set a bigger number (30 seconds) or even disable auto-saving, but the error is still happening.

@kofa I’m trying to figure out how to exclude the collection folders from Windows Defender (first preferred option) or reduce the sync frequency for those folders in Dropbox (second preferred option). But I wouldn’t like to have these folders removed completely from the cloud sync. I can do it for a quick, test but not as a long term solution.

Thank you all for your quick responses, but I hadn’t experienced this until a couple of days ago.

And the guilty was - of course - Windows Defender. I excluded my collections folders from Windows Defender and, ta-da, the issue completly dispappeared.

Many thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Are you keeping the library in the one drive? It’s the only way I can understand your issue.

Not exactly, but very similar. In a Dropbox folder

Every change in dt gets sent to the SQL database. If you place the database in a folder to sync or for antivirus to check, it can cause problems.

Yes, I understand that. I excluded the folder from Windows Defender and this has recuced the issue a lot. It still happens, but a lot less. Now that I know what the problem is I can disable syncing for a certain time whenever I get this message, or even whenever I start using darktable. Not a big problem.

The funny thing is that this didn’t happen until I switched to v4.6.0 (with exactly the same configuration).