Any Objective Tests of Monopods Vs Handheld for Image Sharpness?

Hard to understand how the camera strap works without an image but I’ve seen references to this method so I’ll have a look online. Thanks

something like that

Right. Thanks. I’ll fish out an old EOS strap

red pod is no longer available now, but a bag with small plastic balls and a bolt can do the trick very well.

You have also this (much bigger ans heavier).

The Grizzly Bean Bag has a rugged zipper on the back for fill material. Fill the Grizzly with polystyrene balls, bird seed, split peas, rice, buckwheat hulls, dried beans.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’d forgotten about tree branches…

The best objective test is for you to grab the monopod and the gear you plan to use. Go to a local park and take images with and without the monopod. Challenge the system by using shuttle priority at low speeds. Then go home and compare the images.

Yes, no doubt

Well, you learn something new every day, and that really is interesting — I’ve been thinking of getting a treking pole for when I’m out hiking; not only are they useful as a walking aid, but they’re also great for fending off brambles, stray dogs, and anything else that tries to kill me (including any strangers I upset when I take their photos without permission :wink:).

I love that channel!

1 Like

I’ve always wished for a monopod that transforms to a tripod when I arrive on site.

I did some tests with my older Canon 7D2 and Sigma 150-600mm. I used a distant stop sign as a test subject and found that I could pick up slightly better detail in the sign’s reflective coatings with the monopod, but by a very slim margin. The Sigma was heavy, so the monopod helped if I needed to keep steady focus on a subject for extended periods, which is why I suppose many sports photographers use them.

1 Like

Intuitively this sounds about right

In terms of objectivity, which this thread has not yet fully discussed, I think the main difference between mono-podding and hand-holding is the type of motion blur and positioning of the frame.

For the pod, it is more of a rotation at or near the base, contributing to the awkwardness you may feel when moving the frame to get a good shot or when taking the actual shot itself.

It may be a good exercise to simulate that type of motion and positioning in your hand-holding in order to compare the two methods more directly and fairly.

On a side note, @olliwa’s image, although meant to point out an alternative to pod stability, would not allow a fair comparison, since the motion would likely be an up and down or left and right swing due to the nature of the neck and strap strategy.

Anyway, depending on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go with objectivity, there are many technical methods you could explore measuring sharpness and motion blur. I am sure the engineers and enthusiasts of the forum can help you there.

2 Likes

In Measuring blur, I show how a “No-Reference Perceptual Blur Metric” can be calculated.

1 Like

A good thing to consider is also how tired you’ll get with handholding vs a monopod. I get tired using my XF 150-600 after some good minutes, and then stability suffers because of that. With the 70-300, which seems more or less in line with the 100-400 you’re gonna use, it was mostly fine and I never had much troubles.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not heavy or long

1 Like