Anyone shooting film

Digital versus film photography Wikipedia

Also note the digital versus analog difference when capturing the color spectrum. According to the Wikipedia article, digital seems to have surpassed analog for color film.

Sure do, along with digital too.
Nikon lenses work on new and old bodies which is great, an F801 (N8008s) can be had for less than a night on the town.
The C41 Process entries on my website www.ambientfridge.com were mostly shot with an F801 and two or three lenses.
I touch on my experiences with film shooting, outsourcing scanning, bringing it in house (bought a scanner) and soon I’ll be updating with a newer film workflow after switching to a Linux based operating system.
The quick/low resolution scans are great to see your pictures and then make a decision to make a higher quality scan or keep shooting.
A

1 Like

Nice work man! Love the picture of the Girl with a Beaver Hat at the festival.
Looks like your experiments with various film worked well - I would have liked to see some simple but colorful subject shot as a template with all of the different film types you used over all.
Favorite personal camera for me (which I destroyed ;-( ) was the ‘pop-top’ rollie med format…
Keep up the good work & don’t let analog die!

Let’s see that comparison: a 2,5-105 on Kodak Tri-X

and a 1,8-85 on a 24MP Sensor in a Nikon D610

My answers are:
no
no
yes, here

Your questions were:
is film resolution comparable to digital/sensor resolution?
is she wearing anything more than just that pullover?
can I see more of her?

1 Like

I don’t think your film example does justice to the medium in this case. I am not expert enough to put my “finger” on the problem, but the film image looks to have too much contrast, overexposed at her left jaw, underexposed at her forehead, very dark around her eyes, etc.

Better results can be had from film, and, judging by the rest of your work in this expose, I can tell that you are quite capable.

Thanks for the post, nevertheless.

Happy Holidays.

Caruso

I understand your point; check the pullover and the chairs behind: same sharpness, same light, same gray, same contrast:

As a matter of fact, film can’t cope with the microcontrasts and definition in the same way the digital sensor can. That’s what I wanted to show.

Maybe you can bring in a superior film-scanner (every link in the chain has an influence) and test this with another, lower ISO film on a tripod, shooting exactly the same studio-setup under controlled conditions. But that’s not what I do. I shoot portraits of women - quite often nudes - with available light and camera held in hand, set to ISO 400 (because of the Kodak Tri-X). It’s a pretty dynamic situation and I can’t really “repeat” any picture perfectly.

I agree that Jennifer’s face is a tad darker in the analog shot, but there’s tons of tones in her hair, so the contrast isn’t really too steep.

Digital wins the points for “superior technical reproduction”