Approximating camera JPG from raw Olympus ORF

This is something I had to learn the hard way. You need to check what values are set so I now am making presets in the module. I have one called neutral which is 50 L 0 H 0C and I am experimenting with others for skintones and other colors. The CC module is really helpful with my underwater images, but I find many of my terrestrial shots look fine using just the WB module set to as shot and ignoring the CC module. BTW, the CC module is great at color matching a series of images. I did this recently by setting the color to match grass for a series of shots I was going to merge into a panorama.

1 Like

Just a followup with a different photo to show that the style created from @priort s most excellent work does well with different colors and lighting. Again, OOC JPEG on left, raw ORF with settings applied on right.

2 Likes

Sorry to be late responding to this - only just picked it up. I went through a similar phase using similar kit (EM5 mk III in my case). What I found really helped was setting up a default white balance for that camera, roughly following the procedure outlined in this video from Nicholas at “A dabble in photography” ([ENG] darktable Full edit #1 - YouTube). I did try watching the full explanation from Aurelian Pierre but I didn’t feel I needed that level of tweaking. The only point where I deviated from Nicholas’ guidelines was when I could not get a photo of my monitor screen that I was happy with, so I substituted a photo of a white sheet of printer paper taken outdoors on an overcast day. (Most of my photography is done outdoors in the north of England so overcast is probably my default setting!). Having done that, I find that just increasing the exposure somewhat and adding “basic colourfulness” gets me pretty close to the jpeg. Here is what I get using that and nothing else other than defaults (Darktable 3.8 - scene referred)

Thanks. I may try your method, although what I have works pretty well. I used OM Workspace to double check the results today and it corresponds nicely.

ART

I can consider the above processing as correct, but it is not identical to the OOC jpg.
Considering the shift of color in the OOC jpg, I thought it was due to over exposition and clipping, so I pushed the exposition 0.5 ev

Now I can see this infamous yellow shade appearing, like in the OOC jpg.