Are we all FOSS, mostly FOSS, or something else?

I’d say because is an advertisement and not related with FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

When we discuss about hardware is, usually, about recommendations to know how it works in our systems(you know, drivers support), performance in our FOSS stack, …

I’m thinking the same thing about proprietary software.

For example I’d like to buy Affinity Publisher and use it on Linux since there just isn’t any alternative for Linux. For me to able to achieve that I need to do a VM with IOMMU or something. I don’t know how to do that tho. So there’s one lengthy discussion to be had about many foss things stemming from that proprietary app.

So why shouldn’t we talk about IOMMU and VMs in relation to proprietary software? We’d help a lot of struggling people. I don’t want to be told that I should just use Inkscape which doesn’t even have cmyk support or Scribus that is really not ready yet for “real” usage.

I’d like for us to be able to explore how to transition someone from a fully proprietary pipeline towards a mostly of fully foss one. And for the Mac users, which I blindly assume are more of the artistic kind, a switch to Linux would be required as none of the software works 99% correctly and Apple makes it even harder and harder every year to do that.

Last night I’ve used a MacBook Pro and I totally see why noone cares about FOSS there. It’s such a terrible experience that I think foss should just drop Mac support and ask users to move to Linux.

So we should be talking about virtual machines, maybe looking glass and how to run proprietary software reliably on Linux platform. That would make a the transition a breeze.

Now this is just my opinion. I might be well in the wrong.

1 Like

@heckflosse

To tell you the truth, because I wrote the original post in that thread and I have a personal hate towards subscription based artistic software. So untill pixls determines an official position on that in this thread, I’ve just made that one of the rules. I think it’s a good one. If it isn’t I can change it later. :slight_smile:

Hmm. :thinking: The question is what you want (need) to do.
I can help there, I work with both applications.

2 Likes

It well could be, I’m not sure myself either. But I created it so let’s see where it goes I guess. It can always be removed. Maybe it can be just hardware and we make a strong position fro only foss software and that’s it.

My problem is not with software vs hardware – it’s about advertising here on pixls. If you are looking for deals, there are plenty of places on the internet already where you can find all the info you want…

EDIT: and btw, I see no problem discussing any kind of software and/or hardware, as long as it is not ads.

5 Likes

Thank you, it’s not about that particualr issue. There are many instances of software just missing on Linux or in FOSS. We are forced to buy it sometimes since there isn’t an alternative. In that case we should figure something out. How to use it while still on Linux and using other FOSS.

I see your point but that discussion, IMHO, fits better in your_favourite_distro users group or similar places.

It doesn’t mean that if you ask something like that, and I can help you, I’ll try to help you (of course).
But I think is a little bit out of the scope of this forum.

1 Like

There is plenty of talk of this elsewhere. It isn’t just a matter of being allowed to ask a question, but the question of “can we provide the answers?”

Spicey hot take there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s hard to disagree with that. I created a poll.

I can see objecting to someone advertising their own products, or plugging a product, but I think it’s going a bit too far to say that “Hey, by the way, X-Rite is offering a significant limited time discount on product Y that many of us already use and/or recommend.” is a bad thing, as long as it’s not done frequently and it’s not done with clear conflicts of interest (like affiliate links)

4 Likes

I disagree, but since I’m not involved in any decision around here, my opinion is merely informative… :slight_smile:

That’s why I said:

I think we already do that anyway and nobody is really advertising anything in the true sense of the word.

For me the problem is when I’d like to say:“Look I got a Wacom Intuos Pro M refurbished for 74eur, you can maybe still get one” without stealing the thread even if the topic is about graphics tablets or something.

That’s why imo, a dedicated thread would be fine. So that it doesn’t clutter the general conversations etc.

But maybe this is a Pandoras box, idk. I’m on the fence between a dedicated thread and nothing at all like @agriggio says. Both have pros and cons to me xD

1 Like

I’m not writing things that often but I’m reading a lot and learning a lot from play raw submissions. And the great thing is that I can just follow along. I’m not totally against allowing proprietary software for that but I suggest to keep things accessible for people without the specific proprietary software.

This can be achieved by encouraging (or even requiring) that such edits include a detailed description what was done and why with the individual effects. Otherwise we only see the end result of a black box and can not learn from it…

6 Likes

Lightroom also writes XMP sidecar files. In those you can read tags and it’s kind off human readable enough so you can replicate the result in DT. I still think the key edits or techniques should be explained be the poster.

Hum but these info won’t be as usable and usefull as infos of a FOSS sidecar file that you can download and import to play with directly… so not totally a black box but not as fun and easy way to share your edit :slight_smile:

“Last night I’ve used a MacBook Pro and I totally see why noone cares about FOSS there. It’s such a terrible experience that I think foss should just drop Mac support and ask users to move to Linux.”

This is a bold statement, don’t you think ?
Maybe we should ask the MacOS users here if they care about FOSS.
I can only speak from my own experience and must say I’m using darktable with full convenience since years.
Less frequently I’ve used Digikam and Da Vinci Resolve without problems.
No ‘terrible experience’ at all.
So yes I do care a lot about FOSS and I guess a lot of MacOS users with me.

I’d wish, as one of many users of this forum, that results obtained with proprietary software should be posted only as demonstration when highlighting a missing tool or a process not easy replicate with FOSS is the main subject of the post / thread.

For me Photography, Photograpy processing using FOSS and FOSS discussion and improvements are the main subjects that drawn me to this forum and I’d be quite “off put” if “showcase”, “tutorials” and “play raws” were tinted with proprietary software I can’t and not willing to use.

This is my opinion as a long term FOSS user.

1 Like

I had replied to a different thread but I think it’s worth linking here:

To answer the topic question directly, I’d say we are

mostly FOSS but pragmatically.

If someone posts a Ps edit but is engaging, answering questions, and responsive then it may still be a great thing (after all, we are also photographers here). We can still learn neat things in the context of FOSS hopefully.
New users dumping Ps edits and not responding to questions == bad.

Users posting Ps edits and talking about the creative process, the technical steps to get their results, and why/how they accomplished their results == good. Then we can have a discussion and possibly share results using FOSS tooling that might help them reconsider their choices or options. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Awww, but I wanted to burn the non-believers.

2 Likes