ART feature requests and discussion

This is exclusively @Hombre’s work, so kudos to him!

5 Likes

Okay, so kudos to @Hombre. This works great and is a welcome addition to the existing masks methods. Thanks for your work.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul, and I hope to enhance shape masking a bit more. I’m preparing something for Alberto.

3 Likes

Hi, the goal would be to change the color of an undesired zone. No problem to get a pure black with the slope slider on the left end, but when we move the slider on the right end, the zone never becomes pure white, so we always get some residual colors. It’s little better in association with the power slider but the result is the same. Is there a way to change the zone color for a pure uniform one ? Joined pictures for testing purpose only. Thanks pure-white-2 Pure-blue

@Daniel_Catalina: any progress here? Do you want me to compile a list with the current shortcuts in ART? Would be practical to have a shortcuts tab in the Preferences window.

3 Likes

Yes a dedicated tab in the preferences would be ideal. I had proposed it as a solution. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to code … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

List with shortcuts is made, if someone (a programmer) is interested…

@Daniel_Catalina has been working on some scripts to automate the extraction of shortcuts from the language files. I think he has some preliminary results, and the plan was to publish this on the wiki, to collect feedback and/or suggessions and corrections. @paulmatth maybe you can get in touch with @Daniel_Catalina and see if you can join forces?

The script is done and it can be used to parse the ‘default’ language file, extract the shortcuts and their description and create a markdown table for the wiki.
It is not as perfect as it sounds because there is no ‘guidelines’ used for the shortcuts texts and some of them are more ‘complicated’ to parse.

May the force be with us :slight_smile:

Having the list somewhere in the program is something @agriggio has to agree first. I do not see the use, as it brings more issues than problems that it fixes. It has to be maintained in as many languages as ART supports.
The best ‘compromise’ I see here is to put a link somewhere to the wiki page. But this has the same ‘localisation’ problem.

@Daniel_Catalina

Hello, I agree that @agriggio is the one who decides if, where and how such a list will be implemented.

On localisation: this is not a big issue I think, as they (the strings with ‘Shortcut’ in them) are already translated. I know that, because I did that myself for the Dutch language (there you have to search for ‘Sneltoets’). Apart from that, shortcuts are very statical, most of the shortcuts in ART 1.3 (2020) are the same as in RawTherapee 2.4, somewhere back in 2007.

The latest incarnation of the imageviewer gThumb (v3.10) has such a handy page that lists all the shortcuts including the ones that you assigned yourself (with the remark that the shortcut to call that page does not work on my Xubuntu system… :wink: ).

And talking about translation issues, I happened to translate that gThumb page as well, nothing more than a couple of extra lines of work.

I think it is a good idea to have such a page in a new tab in the Prefs window.

I was not communicating clearly enough here :slight_smile:
I created a script that can extract the lines with Shortcuts and parse them to generate the markdown table in the wiki. But it was not very straight forward as the shortcuts texts are not always using the same format.
This script part will probably be the ‘big issue’ as at the moment I have no idea if the format in other languages is at least kept in sync with the one in the ‘default’ language.

Of course, one can always first generate the table for the default language and than just translate it, but this means translating in 2 places.

The good part is that the script uses pytablewriter and can generate any type of table in case the markdown table that the wiki requires is not suitable for displaying in the program itself (assuming @agriggio agrees that it should be somewhere in the program itself :slight_smile: )

I will try to add the table to the wiki these days, depending on the time and mood :wink:

I have no problem adding an extra tab in the preferences dialog with a list of shortcuts, but I have no interest in doing this myself, so it must come from someone else – just to clarify :slight_smile:

@paulmatth and @agriggio I do not see the point of putting the list there because the Preferences dialog is modal and you can either see the list or use the program. I fail to understand how this can help :slight_smile:

On the other side having the list opened in the browser window allows you to just switch between the shortcuts list and ART and have the best of both.

I agree with you, but if someone does the work, I have no problem accepting it :slight_smile:

Or do it the Darktable way: press H to open a window with a list of shortcuts, release H to close that window and go back to DT.

1 Like

Very good idea! :+1:

I was wondering, as the Inspect tab in the File Browser is often used to reject photos, would it be useful to have the Focus Mask available there rather than in the Editor? We have a feature to compare two photos in the Inspect tab, so it would be good to have a tool to help us compare the sharpness of each photo.

As an aside, I find the current implementation of the Focus Mask to be pretty inaccurate. When I open an image that is really out of focus, it still manages to somehow find areas of sharp focus (at multiple zoom levels).

All in all, I find the idea of a Focus Mask really nice, but the current implementation (which I assume has been ported from RT) is not as useful in practice.

Just for your information, the first step regarding ART shortcuts is done. You can find the initial list in the wiki: agriggio / ART / wiki / Shortcuts — Bitbucket
It is auto generated from the resource file and does not yet contain the shortcuts that are not there (i.e. the shortcuts that are coming from the contextual menus).

6 Likes

Fantastic job!!! :taper:

1 Like

@Daniel_Catalina: Well done Daniel !

2 Likes