ART feature requests and discussion

Hi,
I took a look but I’m not sure there’s a simple fix for this – I’m actually not even sure it needs to be fixed. I would say that in this picture smoothness works better than feathering, and that’s it…
However, I’ll think about it a bit more and let you know if I find something that works better

HTH

1 Like

any chance a liquify and frequency separation feature is coming to ART. these would be great for portrait retouching

is there a way to hide all the toolbars indicated by the red boxes below

Hi,
Liquify would be nice, but it’s a too big task for my limited time at the moment, sorry…
Frequency separation is used (in different ways) in both local contrast and texture boost: if you can describe what you want to do we might better discuss whether these tools are up to the task

No, sorry

thank @agriggio I would like to smooth out the unevenness of the color while retaining the fine texture. I have been experimenting with the smoothing, local contrast and texture to see if it possible. Normally we would blur the color layer and apply the details layer using a soft light blending mode in photoshop.

let me try and use the current available modules to see if it’s possible to simulate skin editing using frequency separation and get back to you.

yeah liquify would be awesome but I understand that’s is not an easy undertaking. no need to be sorry, appreciate very much what you have done with ART.

@agriggio Hi alberto
I noticed a strange behaviour of 2 tools regarding clipped colors.
I use the photo from https://discuss.pixls.us/t/epic-sunset-an-easy-edit
I am in neutral mode
First the tone curve

If I activate the tone curve with no function active, it seems that clipped highlights aresent back to the some color space

ART_xZRPaqfFT9

ART_3duvQeZoUT

It gives a rosy cast that I don’t find realistic. Instead of yellow, the sun becomes pink. Perhaps it is needed to apply color tone curve. But I think the way OOG colors are clipped is not really satisfying.

Second, to clip OOG colors, one can use the film simulation

ART_UV6ChjPVEc

ART_UXMomEenK8

In the second screenshot, there is no longer OOG colors and I think its a better rendering.

What are your thoughts on this problem and your advices to nicely tackle OOG colors in ART?

Hi,

my “advice” is always the same: use whatever tool gives you the result you want :slight_smile:

Regarding your specific question, yes the tone curve applies some formula for clipping that takes into account all the channels (called “film-like” in the code – don’t ask me why because I don’t know) rather than just truncating. This is by design (was already in RT) and I find that in general it is better at avoiding artifacts. In the image above, you might very well prefer the “naive” clipping to the “smart” one, but I don’t think the result is necessarily more natural. I wasn’t there but I bet the sun was more red than yellow, fwiw.

That said, one trick to simulate the naive clipping within the tone curve is to raise the white point:

Screenshot from 2021-09-04 14.21.13

Note this only works if the curve is of “parametric” type, and only in modes “standard”, “weighted std”, “film like” and “luminance”.

HTH

2 Likes

Question. If I apply a rectangular area mask, set roundness to +100 and width and height to the same value, say 30, I get an ellipse. I would expect that these equal values would result in a circle. To get a circle, I have to set width to 20 and height to 30 and then I’m even not sure if that’s a real circle or something that only looks like a real circle. Am I missing some logic here?

The size is in percentage of the corresponding image dimension. So if you have a 3:2 picture, setting 20:30 will give you a circle, whereas 30:30 gives you an ellipse.

HTH

Ah okay, thanks. 50/50 on a square image gives a perfect circle indeed! (Some tooltips missing there… :wink: )

Hello Alberto, one more thing about this circle shape in the area mask bacause I think those values for width and height are not really user-friendly.

Example, I make a circle with height=50 (% as you explained). Now what width I must enter to have a circle? I have to calculate.

My image is 3272x4940px. If height is 50 percent, then the height of the circle is 3272/2=1636.
This means: width = 4940 x y% = 1636, or
4940 x y/100 = 1636
y/100 = 1636/4940
y/100 = 0,33
y = 100x0,33=33
And now I have my circle - but a bit complex!

Can’t you change those values for width and height from percentage to pixels? Would be very helpful for an end user like me!

Hello @agriggio, feature request. What I really miss in Art is that when zoomed in in the edit window, I can’t use the arrow keys to navigate over the photo. The only way (as far as I know) is moving the red area in the navigator panel with the mouse.

Is there a way to implement this while the edit window has the focus? The Z and F keys are always available to zoom in and out. I know the arrow keys are used to navigate the history panel or sliders in the tools, but something like Ctrl+arrow left/right/up/down to navigate over a zoomed photo would be very welcome.

sounds reasonable, I’ll see what I can do.

P.S: I think this thread has reached its limit, please people consider starting new, more specific, ones in the future. Having a big “everything ART” thread defeats the purpose of having a dedicated forum section…

3 Likes