ART (the software) news

My workflow usually involves:

• open the photo
  • decide if the auto-matched curve fits or I want to use some Film Simulation (I have a Fuji and use the CLUTS’sfrom internet)
  • fix the exposure if needed (i usually try to make it right in camera, but is not always possible)
  • use the Tone Equalizer for more exposure tuning
  • apply other more or less ‘artistic’ modules to tune sharpness, noise, contrast, color, etc
  • crop and save
    All the while I am looking at the histogram to check that I do not unintentionally clip highlights, shadows or any of the colors.

I don’t think ART (nor RT) provides any general libraries. The presence of those libraries is checked at configuration time, before compiling.

Yes but RT on the same machine did not ask for those libraries. That is not a serious problem, now I know that I will have to install those two.

RT doesn’t use libexiv2, only ART does. But for libcanberra, I see it’s also required in RT’s CMakeLists.txt, so I don’t know why it doesn’t complain on the second system, unless libcanberra is present but ART was compiled with a different version than that present on the second system?

Last updated french translation. New 1356 line and minor typographical errors.Francais.txt (147.2 KB)

curious behaviour

Using photo from Sony ARW looks yellow in RT and DSC04493.ARW.arp (37.0 KB)
I get curious results.

snapshot 2: neutral ok
snapshot 3 ; applying local contrast with all sliders to 0. should be NOOP. But it blurrs image! ko
snapshot 4 : applying sharpening usharp mask, blank regions appear :flushed: ko

Error message during compilation process of ART 0.3-15 :
/home/serge/programs/code-art/rtengine/ipshadowshighlights.cc: In lambda function:
/home/serge/programs/code-art/rtengine/ipshadowshighlights.cc:67:37: warning: ‘*’ in boolean context, suggest ‘&&’ instead [-Wint-in-bool-context]
const float gamma = 3.f * (hl == (amount >= 0)) ? base : 1.f / base;

Do not prevent from a success of the compilation.

thanks, that’s a rather silly mistake of mine – sorry about that :flushed:. Should be fixed now

Fixed,
but this one now :
In function ‘_ZN8rtengine14RawImageSource10cfa_linednEfbbRKNS0_24CFALineDenoiseRowBlenderE._omp_fn.0’:
cc1plus: warning: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Wstrict-overflow]

New updated french translation file. It takes into account the new lines added for de mask.
Serge MoreauFrancais.txt (147.7 KB)

• “Curious behavior” fixed. thanks
  • “de mask” is worth a try. great addition
  • using noise reduction/final smoothing: Guided filter seems much less effective than median filter for noisy images like DSC04493.ARW. Is it by design?
    ART_master_0.3-28-ga610549b1_W64_SSE4_191216.7z uploaded at
    ART-W64NightlyBuilds/ – Keybase.pub

@agriggio
Your new representation of “de mask” sliders is much more efficient, we better know what we are doing.

1 Like

A quick update on ART. As some people have already noticed, during the weekend I developed a new mask mode for the local editing tools, based on the CIE \Delta E metric. I think it’s useful when you want to limit the action of a tool to the neighborhood of a specific colour. Here is a quick video that shows how it works and how it differs from the parametric masks that you can build with curves:

(Note though that you can freely combine both types of masks, although this is not shown in the video).
Sorry about the flickering by the way, I don’t know how to get rid of it…

4 Likes

Awesome job Alberto!

Thanks for the video.
What kind of screen recorder are you using, causing this flickering ?

A great new addition making it much quicker to generate masks…

I’m using peek because it’s fool proof :slight_smile:

I’m using OBS Studio It’s Open Source and Cross Platform. Never had problem with flickering.

You can adjust fps

@agriggio if you’re on Linux then try Simple Screen Recorder. It’s easy and does the job well.

@agriggio @srgmro
Here’s a revised (and updated to commit
9de355b
) French translation file. It’s probably not the best place to share it, let me know how to do it better next time.
Francais.txt (150.4 KB)