ART (the software) news

of course :man_facepalming:!
sorry, how could I forget about them?
I’ll edit the first post and add a link there!

@europlatus

Windows ART builds

The ART development builds are portable builds packaged as 7z archives.

Just unpack where you want and run art.exe or art-cli.exe

Enjoy

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks!

@gaaned92
Would it be possible to have from time to time an appimage of ART ?
Is this very different from a windows build ?
I am a bit afraid that this request is too much demanding.
Forget it if that is the case.
SM

Ask @Carmelo_DrRaw.

I am unable to do that :frowning_face:

@Carmelo_DrRaw can you help?

@gaaned92 @srgmro sorgy for the late answer… I have started some work in this directi9n, but the app was crashing at start-up and I had no time to investigate further.
Let me have a look again with the current got head. I will report back here about my progresses.

I have also started setting up some automated win64 builds, but that’s not finished either.

@Carmelo_DrRaw, @gaaned92
Do not be sorry, I use ART by compilation for ubuntu 18.04 following the script of Morgan.
I am interested with an appimage so that I can easily install it on various system Linux for my friends. So there is not real urgency.
Thanks to all for your help.
SM

1 Like

I just wanted to say that I love ART. After using it for a few days, I find it hard to go back to regular RawTherapee. I also find the local editing features easier to use than Local Lab (although I don’t think I fully understand how to use the Local lab features yet). There’s been lots of discussion about RT and how it’s too complicated for new users and there’s a distinct lack of local editing features. ART goes a long way to solving both of those challenges.

I’m not sure what Alberto’s plan is for ART, but would it help to give it more exposure and its own category? I’d hate it for development to stop on it because of a lack of awareness/interest.

3 Likes

Since it is literally just @agriggio developing it, development stops and starts with him :slight_smile:

That’s exactly why I am using it now and would suggest to my friends to give a look at it.

thanks! really appreciated :+1:

fwiw, I have no plans to stop development/maintenance for the foreseeable future, and if that were to happen, it would not have anything to do with lack of awareness or adoption. I mostly do it for myself, it’s the only tool I use these days (except for the occasional final touch in gimp when needed). I’m very happy when art can be useful to somebody else, but I won’t cry if I’m the only user :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@agriggio

Your not the only one of course, your very good job deserve to be more largely diffuse :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I really like the layout, cleaner and easier on the eye than the original Rawtherapee.

Locallab is easy to use, but as more complicated masking options get added (which I never use) there are lots of sliders to scroll through.

1 Like

Hi I have a problem of “color correction”. Where can find the dark tone point in this function like RT?

ART

Rawtherapee

the two tools work in a slightly different way, there’s no separate dark correction in art. you can act on shadows and highlights by using two different regions with different L masks

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try it.

Well, if you decide to stop work on it one day, well that’s completely your prerogative and we’ll have been lucky to have been able to use it. Your work is very much appreciated and I’m looking forward to using it more for the foreseeable future. Cheers!

1 Like

ART is currently my main tool. It fits really well with workflow:
Digikam for geotagging vacation photos > ART for raw development > GIMP for fixing cosmetic issues (spot healing) in rare occasions.
And if one day Alberto stops, I’m sure someone will fork it and keep it alive.
Or maybe some of its good stuff will make their way to RT.

4 Likes

Same thing for me, and I hope I will be able to share this simple and useful raw-converter with my friends.