[Article Idea]: Beginners/Intro to Free Software Photography

@paperdigits That’s precisely why I haven’t gotten around to making my own. Although, lately I’ve been wondering if I should just relax a little.

If the focus of the video is to teach fundamental techniques that can be transferred to practically any application (preferably F/OSS), then some of that friction invariably subsides.

After all, when I first started playing around in GIMP, some 9 years ago, there wasn’t much to be had in the way of video tuts. Most of what I learned was gleaned from PS how to’s of the time. The techniques of which I hacked and picked apart in order to implement in GIMP. Most, if not all, of those videos are still reverent, even though many of them were done using CS2.

@CarVac Videos are certainly not for everyone and there’s no denying that the pool of turds one has to wade through in order to find a decent example is vast. However, there’s definitely something to be said for demonstrating the process in real time. Not because any one person’s approach is necessarily superior to any other, or that written tutorials and good documentation aren’t capable of conveying information effectively, but because it acts to drive home the real world application of a given method that just seems to be missing in most written tuts.

This is possibly due to the technical vs the artistic argument and how it appeals to those who lean toward one side or the other. Written tutorials usually err on the technical side of things. They have to in order to make any sense. While videos have a greater potential to expand upon the many nuances of the creative process. Demystifying it in a way that the written tut arguably can’t hope to achieve.

That being said, they can also be somewhat misleading. So many new shooters throw their money away on PS actions sets (many for PSE, barf) like Florabella, MCP, Greater than Gatsby and the like because they fall for the illusion that paying hundreds of dollars for custom curves and gradient maps is somehow going to help them learn and develop their style more than the free resources out there can. And it’s not necessarily the before and after images on the vendor websites that perpetuates this fallacy. It’s the videos. You simply will not find a successful action monger that doesn’t produce vids to showcase their products. The novice, and sometimes not so novice, photographer observes the transformation of the example images and can’t help but be inspired despite the fact that what they’ve just seen conveys very little in the way of technical value. Now just imagine if all the open source tools out there took advantage of that potential.

Good articles and documentation should be the foundation for any comprehensive project and its process, but, love 'em or hate 'em, the benefits and insights inherent in the video model are immeasurable, particularly to new users.

Wow, that went way over what I set out to write initially. :sleeping:

2 Likes

What is the target operating system for this article? Should we try and write something that is applicable to as many users as possible, and thus recommend applications that run on the most operating systems?

Hi all,

I’m possibly a bit late to this party, so I hope you don’t mind.

I’m not sure if I get the point, the target this article should aim at. Is this article for writing about a digital workflow with oss software or about using oss software? I think that would be a series of articles but not only one. But please pardon me if I didn’t get the picture because of my bad english.

If you look at what you are aiming from my point of view a digital worflow starts at the preparation of tools. I’m not talking about how to set up a camera to produce technical nice images, but in this area a newbe should know that he/she hast to set the correct time settings as this will later influence i.e. storing or time lining of image and can be very frustrating.

My second point would be, a image or video taken by what ever kind of tool should be treated as an original , no matter what kind of format (raw, jpg, mov …) and as an original it should not be changed. Because if you treat all of your peaces of art that way, you always will have the chance to produce a better end product after having learned to use software. So from the workflow point of view it wouldn’t be that different whether to handle a raw or a jpg. It will change when you want to speak about image processing, means using software to enhance images.

So, from my point of view the typical workflow would be:
0. setting up the tools

1. taking the image/video
  2. getting it into the comp - here it can be a good point to perhaps rename the files but thats more a matter of taste
  3. sighting the images - here it also coukld be a goot point to do rate, color code or/and flag the imagesalso keyword assigning and alike
  4. development - so here ot would be the time to talk about raw processing, panorama, hdr and alike
  5. storing
  6. archiving & backup

again, I hope you don’t mind

1 Like

I just came back across this thread. If anyone wants to write content, please do! The post is community wiki, or you can reply and I’ll edit it into the article.

well I did a pic

I’m still a bit confused about the target group, so I thougt a simplified comparison of analog to digital would do a good beginning.

It’s done with inkscape so it’s availabale as svg.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqbB12XnzX2CoT7qcx5LzFQeJ_VQ

Edit: and further questions:
does “Free Software Photography” mean OSS or free available but closed source?
is this for Linux/Unix only or also for OSX or win?

Edit2: corrected the “darktable” issue and because of that the link changed too

I think Free Software (capitalized and proper) means a free licensure. I am not interested in software that is gratis but not libre (like the recently released Nik plugins).

To be pragmatic, we should target software that runs cross platform.

I think the target audience is relative new comers, and that we should write in depth about the process after capture to just before hitting the print button.

Please, it’s “darktable” and not “Dark Table”.

I suggest that the concept of ‘non-destructive’ processing should aired. This is not a consideration for everybody but an important option that everyone should understand. Some processing systems (darktable for instance) make this a cornerstone of their process while other systems simply ignore the problem/option.

1 Like

yes, sure - sorry for that. I’ll correct it when I’m back home

What do different versions of English grammar say about this? Are such spelling caprices “officially” supported? How about the law: would I be, in UK, for instance, allowed to change my official name from John Doe to jOhn dOe? Or at leas to register a company with such a name? I know, it’s off topic, but still …

Since when are proper names affected by grammar rules? And even if that was the case, “darktable” is no real word, so rules don’t apply. :sunglasses:

Thanks, I’m completely happy with your point of view. I was just curious, since, for instance, the English Wikipedia spells the program as darktable even in a title or at the beginning of a sentence, and some languages are not that tolerant. (And sometimes I translate short undemanding texts.) That’s why I said it was off topic. I religiously spell the name “properly” anyway.

jaCal

1 Like

A name is a proper noun, same as darktable.

Not really. For example, spelling rules don’t apply. Otherwise you had to apply official spelling rules to names and change them when the official spelling of a word changes. Which I doubt any language does. Well, this is really getting OT now. :wink:

Well let me return us to the original point: we need words!

There are many wonderful suggestions and diagrams in this thread, but not enough words in the wiki post. Don’t be scared, its all version controlled! :slight_smile:

Well I tried … not sure whether my english is good enough - ah and no, that’s no fishing for compliments

1 Like

Hello! I happened to stumble across this site while doing research on Linux and FOSS for photography. I thought that my perspective on the topic might be useful.

Just some quick background - I have been using Windows along with many different software packages for image processing for many years, including Photoshop, since version 5.0. I use the computer and software as tools and have been doing so since the days of MS/PC-DOS, WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3. I am concerned with getting things done. When it suits me or peaks my interest, I can and will delve deeper into things and while I’m familiar with the command line, I’m not really interested in using it unless absolutely needed.

What has that got to do with the topic at hand? While I think the idea of introducing beginner’s to FOSS for photography is important, I believe it would be more important to specifically discuss Linux and basic FOSS first, followed by an introduction to image processing and the various tools available.

What is my interest in Linux and FOSS? As an individual, I am concerned with the direction of Microsoft’s approach to their operating system, their software, and surrounding privacy issues. As a photographer, I am very concerned with the direction Adobe is taking with their cloud platform and subscription service. So, I am looking at my alternatives.

I feel that FOSS on Windows or Mac can be dealt with in a fairly straightforward manner, as has been described in this, and other posts here. Further, there are many resources that already exist about the software available for the two platforms. Whenever I have done any searching, it was relatively easy to find software. In fact, it is relatively easy to find software for “linux”.

What I view as the most important aspect of beginning/Intro to photography with FOSS is the choice of underlying operating system. Although not as familiar with Mac, I believe the choice is set (OSX?). Windows is pretty much locked in, or will be, to Windows 10. At the moment I have systems that run or did run on XP, XP Pro, Vista, and Windows 7 Starter. I avoided Windows 8/8.1 and have no desire to move any to Windows 10.

As a “beginner” moving to FOSS and Linux, my concerns may echo those of other new users or those considering a switch to Linux. With Linux, the choice of underlying operating system, or distro, is confounding. I have spent a lot of time looking at and playing with various distros, everything from a Debian base install and adding the software I think I might use, to the various 'buntus, Fedora, Manjaro, OpenSUSE, Antix and MX-15, etc. with various desktop environments when available, including LXDE and LXQt. I find the level of creativity and choice astounding and I could spend, and have spent, way too much time examining the possibilities available. The choice becomes overwhelming! (and I don’t understand how GTK-2, GTK-3, or Qt could impact any decisions I make - never mind systemd, or whatever else is out there)

How then, would I suggest this topic be approached?

Initially, focus on Linux and provide a starting set-up by recommending one or two distros, possibly based on user’s hardware - older netbooks, laptops, computers, 32-bit vs 64-bit, and then newer hardware (At the moment I am running Linux Mint 17.3 on my desktop, two old laptops, and an old netbook, on which I boot along with Windows 7 Starter and two other distros for testing. All are more than 6 years old.)
Recommend one desktop environment that will work with either suggested distro, not the myriad of possibilities available, and walk them through the download, LIVE trial, and installation process.
Recommend how to set up the environment - turn on the firewall; install anti-virus software; ensure other software is installed for printers and scanners; etc.
Only then do I think it would be good to recommend processes and programs to try initially - image downloaders; basic JPG and/or RAW processors, like those that come with the cameras; then move to advanced programs like darktable, RAWTherapee, GIMP, etc. but do it in steps. Colour control is important but most beginners are not going to be that concerned about it - a basic method would suffice initially. A more detailed discussion on could be referenced.

As a previous Windows user, I want to know that the operating system, software and programs will function and be relatively stable, and then where to go if something goes wrong. Whether that stability is best provided by a LTS or rolling release distro, I am unsure.

Sorry for the long reply but I really have found the choices of available distros and all the “new” information to be overwhelming at times. Luckily, I have the time and patience to try various distributions and reading, but I don’t think most people will be so fortunate. They may just give up and go back to Windows or the Mac, not because they necessarily want to but it is just easier sometimes when there is limited choice.

5 Likes

Hello @dazedandconfused, welcome! I hope you decided to stick around and discuss with us.

I’m not sure we should push an operating system choice in an introductory article, many of the tools here are cross platform. We can perhaps note that all of them run on GNU/LInux, but then again, they probably all run on FreeBSD too. People should swtich to GNU/Linux because they want to. I’m glad you’ve found it, but the Linux desktop isn’t for everyone. In fact, the hardest thing about switching is finding analogs for all your applications that you had on your previous platform. So if a potential switcher adopts the tools first on Windows/Mac, then the actual operating system switch can just sort of happen, because all the tooling is there. This is a big reason I recommend LibreOffice to a lot of people. Once you can say “all the apps you already run also run on Linux” it makes things much easier.

For new users, I generally recommend Ubuntu MATE or Mint; they have the best support for new users. After that, a user should find their own way to a distro and community that suits them. It’s too big of a personal preference and most of the time people don’t go much beyond saying “this is good and I use it.”

2 Likes

@paperdigits, I am not suggesting that one operating system choice be pushed…mac and windows are easily included. Those new to photography on Mac and Windows have probably been using those operating systems in the past, and would continue to do so, unless there was a major reason to switch. It is much easier to switch programs than operating systems. Adding FOSS options for photography in either environment is straightforward, at least in my mind.

However, a “new” user to linux and photography could probably use some extra guidance. I know it would have been very helpful to have a consensus of experienced users recommend “this” or “that” distro and desktop environment as a start for a good, stable basis for developing, or continuing, a photographic workflow. (You already “generally recommend Ubuntu MATE or Mint” - eventually, those who want to will discover their own preferred distro.)

Further, for those considering a completely FOSS approach, a solid basis in understanding the choices in a linux environment (including FreeBSD and any other similar system of which I am unaware or ignorant of) will not occur overnight, even if they read the manual…or manuals. Hence, the idea for recommendations for one or two specific distros, a desktop environment, printers and scanners that work well with linux, etc. prior to actually getting into the photographic workflow and associated programs available in linux.

As for me, and I would think most people, we will find the programs that suit our individual needs, as long as we have a solid platform from which to begin. We may even discover software that is better than what we’ve previously used. :smiley:

P.S. - Could you explain what you mean by “the Linux desktop isn’t for everyone”. I’m not sure what that means.

The Free Software community is full of idealist and idealists take ideal positions. When it comes to the Desktop, the idealist will proclaim their ideal the best and then push it on everyone. There are a lot of zealots. I don’t think that position is very helpful; people should use the Linux desktop because they want to, not because someone berated them into it. Changing tooling can be painful and I feel that too many people have left the Linux desktop because idealist over sell and under deliver. That is, of course, my opinion.