Auto-illumination of 2d shapes

Looks impressive David; sort of like Bevel Reflect Logo. Maybe give option to add different types of textures to would be cool. :slight_smile:

So, here it is !
A first version of the filter Light & Shadows / Illuminate 2d shape has been published today, and should be available for users of the G’MIC plug-in for GIMP and Krita (requires version 2.2.2+).
Here is a video that shows what it can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUVTbrdGznw

Right now, I admit I’m quite enthusiastic by this filter, as it really allows shading complex shapes with a few clicks.
Remind also that this is a first version, so subject to changes.

Please let me know what you think about it !

Some before/after comparisons :

example1
example2
example3

4 Likes

I love this! <3

The Effect could separate by layers and attain something like this:

2018-05-18-125012_546x431_scrot

Just select Output modes -> New layers and you will get the illumination layer alone, blended with your original image.
Then you can re-work on this illumination layer to create various effects or correct light locally if you want.

1 Like

I what thought was in slight variations for each level and something similar to colorize [interactive] for the levels.

2018-05-18-131534_1600x900_scrot

Not planed like this sorry :slight_smile:

I will have to automate it in a script :stuck_out_tongue:

Melts from the cuteness of the lion. Awesome wizardry you have there, @David_Tschumperle!

3 Likes

I like it, thanks…

Processing each colour separately

The effect is less a globe and similar to the animations of 2.5D

2 Likes

That’s interesting.
Have you used the exact same parameters of the filter for all colors ?

yes. But no it apply it to him to line (black)

You can get the same effect by playing with blending modes and opacity…

I like mine better though.

no. It is subtly different. It looks the cap and the tongue

There’s a easy way to make plushies render now. Something that I’d like to see is contour adjustment, but that’s not necessary, but would make for a nice feature to this filter.

and drop shadown:

OK; had to play (just got home from work an hour ago and then I needed to cook me something to eat; lol). Pretty cool stuff, David. Yes; separated the colors first before running on each layer. :slight_smile:

ref: bison leif lodahl 01 - Openclipart

This is great! There’s so much it can be used for!
Here’s some of my tests:

1 Like

I am wandering if this filter can be used to re-light a photo. For example portrait. See example

Original

Mask

Light from left

Light from right top

5 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:
I’ve some various plans to improve this filter, one of them being a way to specify an input mask so that illumination of multiple different shapes can be done at the same time.
Stay tuned !

2 Likes