Automatic color wash

I resently downloaded version 5.2 and had pulled in some jpg images to edit. That worked fine. Then I converted to shooting Raw files. However, now when I double click on an image to edit, the color automatically washes out in both the work area image and the image along the top of the screen but I hadn’t yet made any changes. How can I stop this?

Hi @MyRawaccess, you might take a look at this:
Editor - RawPedia

@MyRawaccess Welcome to the forum! If this is about RawTherapee, and if you are a beginner, you may want to read Getting Started and Eek! My Raw Photo Looks Different than the Camera JPEG.

Edit: BTW, RawTherapee 5.3 is available.

Thank you so much for your quick response and link to the system
information. So if I am understanding this right, the images in the
filmstrip are from the embedded jpg and once I double click on an image it
is processed into a view of the Raw data and that raw image is then
displayed in both the film strip and the preview window in its most natural
state. So what I am seeing is normal and I just have a great deal of work
to do to get it to look similar to the jpg. It seems like a lot of extra
work just to get it back to acceptable before making enhancements beyond
what you could do with a jpg. Am I missing something?

@MyRawaccess

Generally, the JPGs that come from your camera have many modifications baked into them to give them the aesthetic that matches the brand. However, the modifications are very heavy handed. Using JPGs that come from the camera for post-processing severely limit what you can do with the image.

Apps like RT keep that to a minimum, especially when the preset is Neutral, giving the user the power to get the most out of the raw file. It takes some getting used to and some discipline but the results are undeniably better. Read Getting Started. It provides a good overview of you need to do.

That said, the original JPGs and embedded preview images can still be good reference material to your post-processing. Evaluate what you like and don’t like about them, then emulate the aspects that you found compelling and add to that according to your personal tastes.

You can go to the Color Tab and open Color Management subsection and click on the Look Table and Tone Curve boxes. That should give you your camera JPG look instantly. Have a look at :
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management

1 Like

Yes. RawTherapee is the kind of girl who applies makeup on clean skin, not on top of yesterday’s makeup.

6 Likes

Ahaha, nice “image” !

Great line! Standing ovation!

1 Like

I just snorted out loud in line at the pharmacy reading this. I’m getting weird looks from other people now. :smile:

1 Like

:rofl: