AVIF HDR export (REC2020/ST2084) with Darktable

I tried exporting an AVIF image with PQ Rec2020 and input profile linear tiff prophoto from DXO. It does not appear that that is an HDR image according to chrome. Do I have to make any other special settings to produce an HDR AVIF image?

Welcome but this forum doesn’t really deal with issues in commercial software…from time to time references are made to products like DXO but the forum is for the FOSS projects supported here… I am a bit confused about what you are doing as you tagged darktable…is the export from darktable or DXO??

I created the linear TIFF with DXO. I was trying to use darktable to convert it to a rec2020 st2084 color space AVIF file.

1 Like

See also Mastering workflow for linear images for HDR displays, Experimenting with HLG and HDR10 for still images, Processing RAWs for HDR displays in Darktable, and Exporting images for use in HDR TV production

Sounds like this topic can even be merged in there somewhere… @paperdigits

Also, might be worth splitting your problem in two and tackling it piece by piece: AVIF output from darktable (using e.g. known HDR images like the EXR samples in other topics cf. testing your Chrome w/ known files), vs the unknown “linear TIFF” input.

I will experiment with AVIF output.

Thanks for testing and making me have another look at AVIF export - turns out darktable, in addition to correct HDR tags, also always embeds the equivalent ICC profile in AVIF files, which seems to throw Chrome off.

One can btw remove the surplus ICC profile from those “affected” AVIFs using exiftool -ICC_Profile= foo.avif as a workaround.