B&W conversion using channel mixer - doubt

Hi All,
I am using more and more DT because I have decided to abandon C1.
For my B&W conversion i usually use the Channel Mixer but i realize that the channel mixer i used to use has 6 channel ( Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta).while the Channel Mixer in DT has 3 channel (RGB).
Who can explain me how can i change during my conversion missing channels? i know i miss the basics but i hope thanks to your help to learn soon…my question can sounds very stupid, but i can’t give myself an answer.

Do you have any suggestions?
any resource on the net that can help me understanding better this thing?

Thanks,
Ale

I don’t really know C1, but my guess is that what you have used there is more like a 6 vector secondary color corrector, where the different “channels” control these separate colors. So the R would control all the red in the image, the G would control all the green and nothing else.
The channel mixer in DT controls the underlying RGB channels of the image, which is something totally different. For something more like what you are used to, check out the Color Zones module.

1 Like

Just try “presets” on the Channel mixer module (or its recent form, the Color calibration). And, after selecting a preset, play with the R, G and B channel sliders. When you find a setting (a different combination of R, G and B values) which makes you feel good, save that as a preset for yourself. Than repeat the same process, for a different image of yours…

Is it actually working in cmyk color space …if so then no I don’t think so…

They are different color models one is additive and one is subtractive and to the best of my knowledge there is no support for cmyk in DT

Capture 1 Pro supports CMYK I suspect that is why they have access to that type of channel mixer…or color vectorizer as you put it

The color zones module allows one to have lots of easy control over how different colors are converted to shades of gray. I have found that starting with the preset black & white film gets you a monochrome image and then you can easily move points around on the lightness view of the color graph to adjust different colors. If you don’t like the starting point of the black & white film preset which already has nodes moved around you can double click anywhere on the color graph and all the nodes will go to the middle line, but still monochrome. You can then move nodes to adjust.

1 Like

You understand there are in fact only 3 channels:

• R (positive ~ “red”, negative ~ “cyan”),
  • G (positive ~ “green”, negative ~ “magenta”),
  • B (positive ~ “blue”, negative ~ “yellow”).

I am guessing that C1 GUI is just presenting 6 positive value sliders rather than 3 sliders with 3 positive value segments + 3 negative value segments (having never used C1, I don’t know for sure what C1 is doing).

2 Likes

I can easily target many colors to get different shades of gray with color zones (or the Lightroom HSL/Color module where I can adjust 8 colors to get different shades of gray: red, orange, yellow, green, aqua, blue, purple, magenta). I guess we all know that there are actually just red, green, blue BUT having more editing choices is easier to hone in on colors that are not themselves pure red, green, or blue. Most colors are combinations of R, G, B so, personally, I find it easier to have more choices.

The color zones module with the color graph is quite nice. It would be even better if, like the tone equalizer, one could hover the mouse cursor over a color and then turn the mouse wheel to brighten/darken it though.

1 Like

Something you can do though which is about as good is you can take the eyedropper and select something in the image and then a black vertical line will appear on the color graph. You can then move a node up or down along that vertical black line to adjust the shade of gray. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everybody! as soon as i can i will carefully read your answers!

indeed, since the colorzones is in the display referred part of the pipe a scene referred color equalizer sibling would be fine (similar to the a couple of instances of new color balance rgb first tab using parametric masks)

Hi,
Use color look up table to increase or decrease the colors before converting to black and white.

Watch Boris Hajdukovic edit in black and white

Initially this was my first thought but then red would be fighting the cyan slider and the same for the others, so bumping cyan would drop red?? Since they don’t is it just a way of “dumbing” down the opposing color effect?? Something unique about BW??

It’s perfectly possible to derivate an RYGCBM space by using a spectral reconstruction (with some matching LUT) and converting the spectrum to a 6D or 8D color space through sensor color matching functions. It doesn’t have to be 3D all the time.

2 Likes