Balcony - ( Balc-ovni ).

That’s interesting. The structure has an almost plastic-like quality. I tried various blurs / softening but ended up not going that direction.

1 Like

Shape reminds me of the pods in Star Wars’ Galactic Senate. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have seen, that I forgot to attach the XMP. I edited my post. The XMP is now available, if you are interested.

2 Likes

My interpretation using darktable 4.4.1.

3 Likes

Looks natural without too much of a transition problem to the blue sky.
I would vote for this version.
The architect has already created his version. So this is like photographing art - the most loyal way to do it is to relay a realistic look.

1 Like

Deleted post

In my opinion - it is always useful to see what is possible with other tools.

2 Likes

I prefer DT, but imo the input from examples made in main stream software is valuable for the never ending contest between free and paid-for raw editing software.

1 Like

Why post and say nothing originally if you know its not welcome?

Play Raws are about sharing techniques and learning from one another. (1) not everyone has access to closed software so by posting with closed software you are excluding others and (2) we are expressly about FOSS. Literally any other photo forum on the internet you can show off you proprietary masterpiece; but this isn’t the place for it.

If you want to post saying “I made this in proprietary editor, how can I match it with Foss?” That’s great. Or if you’re making an actual comparison to try and learn, like comparing noise reduction or something.

But posting and not saying anything, then when asked saying “oh I knew that isn’t welcome here but I did it anyway” … That’s not great.

1 Like

I use a combination of FOSS and proprietary software (in virtually all areas, not just photography). Does that mean I shouldn’t be posting anything here that’s not 100% FOSS?

2 Likes

I would say definitely your workflow is ok - besides I don’t want to miss your edits… :wink:

I think the boundary of acceptability is that FOSS must be substantially involved, and also being upfront is always good. So yours are fine.
But I’m not an admin - just my view on this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In my opinion - tools are tools. A hammer is a hammer whether you forged & blacksmithed it yourself or you purchased it at the local DIY. They both drive nails. I run 99.999% FOSS at home. But at work - it is a smorgasbord.

This is in my opinion is the crux of the issue - but this just needs to be discouraged by forum etiquette & culture. Appropriate etiquette & culture just needs to be communicated & encouraged.

There is nothing in any pinned post that I have found that so far communicates Play_Raw etiquette & culture that forbids any tool. Welcome to the new Play Raw category! just defines that Play_Raw

for people to learn post processing by editing raw files contributed by other community members

I would argue that edits with non-FOSS and FOSS tools aid in learning with appropriate etiquette & culture.

If this is such a problem maybe the discussion should move to Welcome to the new Play Raw category! to define the boundaries of acceptability and communicate the Play_Raw forum etiquette & culture?

1 Like

That’s kind of what I’ve always thought and I try to remember and be clear about what I used. But @paperdigits wrote:

(my emphasis)

That’s why I’m curious…

Thanks.

You can see the About page which says our goal is

To provide tutorials, workflows and a showcase for high-quality photography and cinematography using Free/Open Source Software.

Our FAQ also says

These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Well people don’t like pinned post, people don’t read the FAQ, About, or anything else really. This isn’t the first time this has happened, so it has been discouraged in other threads.

You’re fine.

As mentioned in my original post, the issue is that @charlie84 knew what the norms of this forum are, but chose to go against those norms anyway. I have no idea what the purpose of this was and I find this behavior quite annoying. Now they’ve deleted their original post and reply.

I deleted my posts, I apologize to everyone.
But now don’t make it so long, it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

20220327_0001.CR2.xmp (12.6 KB)

10 Likes

@Thomas_Do that’s it. Love the abstracticity. Great Job :+1:

2 Likes

Instagram crop? :joy:

20220327_0001.jpg.out.pp3 (14.8 KB)

2 Likes