Black band on side of pictures with Fuji X-T5

Hello there,

I recently bought the Fuji XT5 and encounter a problem when processing my raw using Rawetherapy.

The problem is that when i open a raw file, the picture have a black band on the full height of the picture on the right side. I opened the pictures with Capture One to see if the problem comes from the camera and the raw opened with CP1 don’t have this issue, which makes me think it’s from Rawtherapy.

I also noticed when converting to JPEG with both software to compare that the picture size is different : 7728x5152 with CP1 ( which is the native size of the camera ) and 7738x5170 with Rawtherapy . It also come withe a slight difference of the framing. The CP1 framing is the same as on the LCD of the camera, but the RT one is like moved to the left, cutting a small part of the left side and including an unexistant part on the right side materialized by the black band.

If it’s coming from RT as i suspect, does anyone have an idea of how to fix it if it’s fixable or should i write a bug report to RT directly?

PS: few pictures example to show the band i’m talking about

Cheers

1 Like

Your camera is not present in RawTherapee’s (5.9 stable) camconst.json file.

Adding the following might solve the problem:

{ // Quality C
“make_model”: “FUJIFILM X-T5”,
“raw_crop”: [ 0, 0, 7728, 5152 ], // ADDED BY HAND
},

PS: Not tested on my side, if you upload a sample RAW i can test it for you.

ping @Thanatomanic - could you check correctness and make it permanent?

1 Like

See also RawTherapee 5.9 released - #24 by kmilos, there is perhaps some vertical crop needed at both top and bottom as well…

You can further add the dcraw_matrix values from there, and maybe black/white levels…

Also, this is identical for X-H2 which can be added to make_model as well.

P.S. There are both X-T5 and X-H2 samples on RPU one can test on, or also convert to DNG (supported in latest version 15) for verification.

3 Likes

I’ve made a note to look into this Improve support for several Fujifilm camera's · Issue #6624 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

3 Likes

Hello, thank you all for your quick answers.
Jade_NL as i’m an absolute noob for this kind of advanced adjustement, i have no clue where to add what you’re telling me to write^^ can you explain it a bit more in depth about how to proceed ?

I’m also adding a raw file so if you think trying it yourself is faster than explaining to me, you can :sweat_smile:

_DSF0450.RAF (36.9 MB)

1 Like

@MartinM

I just tested my workaround and that does the trick for your uploaded RAW, but… I’ve also downloaded 2 X-T5 examples that are on RPU and both do not show the issue you are seeing to begin with. I’m sure that Roel will come up with an all-around solution for this specific camera in due time, but do realise that the above solution is a temporary workaround for your specific situation.

OK, what to do to get this working. I do believe, looking at some of your earlier posts, that you are a windows user. With that in mind and assuming that you did a normal, default install on a recent Windows version here’s what you need to do:

• Download this file camconst.json.txt and rename it to camconst.json
  • Stop RawTherapee if it is up and running
  • Copy the renamed file to:
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\RawTherapee
  • Start RawTherapee

That should do it (said the person that’s not all that familiar with Windows :grin:).

The “installed” file only contains the above mentioned change, nothing else, which will be added to the global camconst.json data when you start RawTherapee.

PS: Do remember to occasionally check to see if RawTherapee supports your X-T5!! If that is the case then the above “installed” code snippet/file needs to be removed.

EDIT

@MartinM Do read the next two replies first before attempting the above workaround!

1 Like

@Jade_NL @MartinM
Morning!

Could it be a special setting in the X-T5?
I have a faint recollection that there is a “sports
view finder”-setting (or something similar)
which is not handled…?

Addendum: There is such a setting. Fuji calls it Sports finder mode, where

Pictures are taken using a 1.29× crop, reducing the picture angle by an amount equivalent to increasing lens focal length by 1.29×; the crop is shown by a frame in the display.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

I have not seen any irregular behavior in the crops of the images I tested. The camconst.json has been updated and will be found in the next nightly build and update of RT.

4 Likes

Claes I just checked to be sure and this setting is not on

@Jade_NL @Thanatomanic I’m a bit confused about what do to. Should i do what Jade said or if i understand Thanatomanic there will be a RT update soon so i just have to uninstall and reinstall the new 5.9 version ?

Also you both said that you didn’t encounter the same issue with other xt5 samples. Do you think it could come from the camera then?

1 Like

Try the newly updated RawTherapee version first. This is (will be) the official version without any personalised workarounds applied. Something else might be at play why you are seeing the black stripe with your RAWs.

Not sure if you want the executable or the zipped version, pick the one you want. Direct development download:

I just checked the camconst file from the latest dev builds and Roel’s X-T5 and X-H2 updates are already integrated/build in the provided links.

BTW: Can you download and check the first and third RAW from here:

Curious to know if those show the black stripe on on your side of things.

2 Likes

I confirm that as of today RT supports X-T5 losslessly compressed and uncompressed raw files. Lossy-compressed raw files are not supported. There is no DCP input profile for the X-T5 - if you have access to a color target then read How to create DCP color profiles - RawPedia

2 Likes

I downloaded the 2 RAWs and opened it before dowloading your win exe version and they didn’t have the black band even tho they have the same size as mine ( 7738x5170 ).

Then i uninstalled my RT version, downloaded your exe one and it’s working, the black band don’t appear anymore ! Thank you very much =)

1 Like

So sorry to revive this, my X-T4 photos are doing the same thing, but being on mac I can’t update to 5.9 yet. By any chance is there something you can cook up for me?
Thanks so much <3

(Edit: I deleted my earlier version of this comment as I accidentally replied to the wrong person. Sorry for anyone getting the wrong notification! My first time using this platform oop)

@HIRAM has a macOS version of 5.9 here: https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_11.0_Universal_5.9.zip. This will become the official package when someone finds the time to upload it to the RawTherapee website.

Wait so this isn’t some bootleg version made by a random person, but like the soon-to-be released legit product?

It is legitimate. @HIRAM has been the main macOS developer for at least the past few years. This should make you comfortable:
The repository owner requesting a build from @HIRAM (aka Benitoite): Roadmap for v5.9 · Issue #5632 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
The link provided by “Benitoite” here: Mac RawTherapee 5.9 · Issue #6660 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Amazing. Had no idea it was out lol, so cool!
Thanks very much fr sharing with me! Interesting seeing my most recent image’s preview with a massive increase in saturation compared to 5.8 (same settings). Guess I’m now gonna deep-dive into the new features! Local Adjustments was big on my wishlist! :smiley:

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_11.7_Universal_5.9.zip
I’ve run an update on the 5.9 release package, and highly recommend testing this one on macOS 11.7 minimum. Thanks!

Thank you heaps. I’ve admittedly been getting a lot of crashes on the 11.0 version, but appreciating your work to port this program SO much, thank you!

1 Like