Blown highlights in old Nikon NEF (comparing HLR methods)

Dus you check with the raw clipping indicator , that all blown parts are recognized / marked as blown ?

Might have an impact somewhere , or may require less tweaking of the threshold .

Best for this task is the mask button in the HLR module itself ā€¦

What are the colors displayed when altering candidatesā€¦ what data is found or what will be recoveredā€¦in the mask view

Itā€™s a false color representation of segments concidered to have a good candidate.

There are plenty of areas that the raw clipping indicator does not mark, but show up magenta:

Yet, clip highlights and reconstruct in LCh remove almost all of the magenta. Iā€™m not sure if what remains is CA or not:

Both of them, plus guided laplacians, show the following mask:

With guided laplacians, some blotches of magenta remain:

With the raw white level of 15700, as suggested by @g-man, I get the following mask for clip highlights and reconstruct in LCh:

For guided laplacians, the mask is a bit different (just a few pixels):

The raw overexposure indicator:

Output from guided laplacians:

Turning HLR off and zooming in, there are still magenta areas:

But even those are fixed by guided laplacians:

The areas that still have some magenta:

Raw overexposure indicator:

HLR mask from guided laplacians:

1 Like

Okay thanksā€¦

Is there a draft documentation? Iā€™ve read some of the PRs, but they are too technical for me at this point (even though I remember some of the basics of segmentation / morphological operations from university). I also remember reading bits of advice on the forum, but canā€™t find them right now.

In preparation :grinning: @Iain has already done most of it including some general info how highlights reconstruction can be understood and what the problems are.

1 Like

Here is the draft documentation

4 Likes

Interestingā€¦ sometimes when I look at these sorts of images and I like the colors overall and its just seems dark I try edits without filmic and now without sigmoidā€¦ using only the tone eq and few other modulesā€¦it may not really be a good edit in the end but what was interesting is at least with this combination of modules a nice demonstration of inpaint vs segmentation results showed up. Here in the first image is my edit and inpaint at the default threshold and that has left a gradient at the blown area in the upper right of the sky. It runs along the dust spot or artifactā€¦ Simply switching to segmentation and dropping the threshold one click to 0.99 or leaving it at 1 and increasing the candidates fills and blends that areaā€¦

In many images it can appear that the result is the same but clearly the segmentation method will be quite usefulā€¦

Inpaint

Segementation

2017-10-15_13-50-59-DSC_0026.NEF.xmp (10.0 KB)

2 Likes

Exactly. Thatā€™s what the segmentation and finding candidates is for :+1:

1 Like

I just noticed that in the segmentation based example the sky has gone a bit pink in the lower right corner (of sky), whereas the inpaint one doesnā€™t. I expect a bit of tweaking would sort it though.

Yes, Iā€™ve noticed that, too. If you use inpaint opposed, youā€™ll see a boundary where the top left is pinkish, the bottom right is blue. It seems that pink is somehow propagated, perhaps.

If you brighten the image and apply sigmoid or filmic with chroma preservation = Luminance Y, some desaturation happens and the tint is reduced.

Hi Alberto,
I checked the algorithm on Darktable, very impressive ! this could be a very suitable tool for ART
SM

Good, because itā€™s been in master for the last 10 days :slight_smile:
You donā€™t see changes in the UI because it replaced the previous ā€œBalancedā€ method.

1 Like

This is the result of ART with balanced method and Log Tone mapping.
SM

FYI, if you see artifacts such as the magenta one in the top-left corner of the sky above, you can try increasing the raw white point slightly (e.g. about 1.25 should do for this picture)

Thanks Alberto it works perfectly