call for support: Darktable 3.6 changes colors of RAW files significantly

Ya my intent was to show how one simple change could change your starting point… esp wrt colour …at least with DT you know or can discover what they are in other software you really are not sure exactly what decisions are made in the “default” profile…

This preserve chrominance option is really worth exploring. It has a huge change on how colors are reproduced in the image. I tested it on some flower images and it was incredible. Sometimes no is so much better.

It also depends on your version. In 3.4 there was a 5 or 10 % mid-tone saturation boost so when coupled with the color preservation there could be quite a strong effect… The default for this is now zero and I find that offers a much better initial result…Sometimes I also blend filmic in lightness blend mode…this can preserve a bit more color and smooths out some highlights the way I look at the images. This may introduce some other downstream issue but you can try it with snapshot and blend filmic in lightness vs normal just for kicks…

Once a new release is packaged for Windows I am like a kid a Christmas and I just have to rip that present open. I went to 3.6 once it was available. It is always great to see the new improvements in DT while other software like Lightroom just stagnate.

1 Like

Ya I am pretty bad I often build it several times a week if I notice a bunch of new changes added…