Can not install but says it is.

Pretty sure I did but I will do it again and report back shortly.

Just rebooted and I have an icon but the program will not start. I just set it as a default for camera and it didn’t start when I put my SD card in either.

Insert your SD card whenever you want, but start Rapid Photo Downloader from the main menu.

If Rapid Photo Downloader will not start at all, then run it from the command line like this:

rapid-photo-downloader --debug

then copy and paste any error output here.

$ rapid-photo-downloader --debug
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Fatal Python error: Aborted

Current thread 0x00007f217f32d700 (most recent call first):
File “/home/kudzu/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/raphodo/viewutils.py”, line 464 in any_screen_scaled_qt
File “/home/kudzu/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/raphodo/viewutils.py”, line 480 in any_screen_scaled
File “/home/kudzu/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/raphodo/rapid.py”, line 6385 in main
File “/home/kudzu/bin/rapid-photo-downloader”, line 8 in
Aborted

Okay. Try this from the command line:

sudo apt-get install libqt5x11extras5

See if you can start Rapid Photo Downloader after that.

Nop. Here is the readout. BTW, I used to have it on here. No idea why it disappeared.

sudo apt-get install libqt5x11extras5
[sudo] password for kudzu:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
libqt5x11extras5 is already the newest version (5.5.1-3build1).
libqt5x11extras5 set to manually installed.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
python-gnome2
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 287 not upgraded.

Try this also:

sudo apt-get install libxkbcommon-x11-0

Then again try to launch Rapid Photo Downloader

No.

libxkbcommon-x11-0 is already the newest version (0.5.0-1ubuntu2.1).

You still got this exact same error message?

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.

I was just able to reproduce the error on an install of Linux Mint 18.3 I have. Which is interesting, as I was never able to reproduce it before.

This will fix the problem:

python3 install.py --use-system-PyQt5

Actually it is a little different.

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
libxkbcommon-x11-0 is already the newest version (0.5.0-1ubuntu2.1).
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
python-gnome2
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 287 not upgraded.

Jeff, do this, it will work:

Hate to disappoint you but nothing. I rebooted too.

$ rapid-photo-downloader --debug
Segmentation fault

Debug output is getting smaller. :wink:

Sorry, it works for me. This also works for me:

python3 install.py --PyQt5-version 5.14.2

BTW if you want to save time manually download the tarball, and run the command like this:

python3 install.py --PyQt5-version 5.14.2 rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.24.tar.gz

I am seriously considering a format and reinstall of a newer version of Mint. Everything else works fine and as I said, it was working just fine and then it wasn’t there? Just hate to fix it when it isn’t broke… other than this.

The program Rapid Photo Downloader has not changed.

What has changed is Qt 5.15. The Qt developers decided to strip out some support libraries that are required to run Qt on Linux. The install script, by default, attempts to download and install the very latest version of PyQt 5.

Given PyQt 5.15 is having a problem with Linux Mint 18.3, reverting to an older version of PyQt 5 should work. That’s why it should work if you install PyQt 5.14 with Rapid Photo Downloader, or revert to the PyQt as packaged by Linux Mint / Ubuntu / Debian.

Tried this command AND IT WORKED!!
I was going to give up for the night but decided to give that a shot first.
Thank you SO MUCH for the your time. I love this software.

1 Like

I’m glad it’s sorted out. The explanation why is in the previous message.

2 Likes

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 20.04.1 not installing. Using the command with --PyQt5 (no version) worked.

I have updated the install.py script to properly handle the situation. I’m just waiting on updated translations before I make a release.