Canon EOS m6ii firmware 1.1

Hi,
The latest version of Rawtherapee (5.8) and Darktable (3.02) do not open the CR3 format images from this camera. Darktable doesn’t show them as supported files and errors if you try to open using all files.
The only way I can open them is to convert to .dmg first usign Adobe DNG convertor. (or use DPP4) - I’m using 64-bit on windows 7 SP1 and Ubuntu 18.04 (the appimage doesn’t run on 18.04 but the repo 5.8 is fine and does open them). Darktable doesn’t open them on either platform.

Please update so these programs support the M6ii’s CR3s directly. (CR2s from my 700D work perfectly)

As I see previous requests have been met with “it already does” I suspect Canon have updated the format with the newest Firmware 1.10 so it’s no longer supported on Win7??
(44.3Mb file submitted using the uploader)

ps the latest version of Irfanview with the latest plugin pack opens them BUT completely ignores them if you browse the folder, hides them and only sees the .dng versions, it only works if you specifically tell it to open the file directly.

darktable doesn’t support CR3.

1 Like

Please call Canon and let them know that keeping the details of their file format behind an NDA does not work for you, their paying customer, and is not healthy for the software ecosystem in general.

If it were that easy to “just” update it would be done already.

You can see this thread for more info: Canon CR3 raw support - your move

1 Like

thanks Peter, that clears that one up then :slight_smile:

(dng convert first will have to do)

paperdigits, rather than give some arrogant comment you might ask how other Open Source devs can manage it.
rawtherapee on Ubuntu via the repo works fine

if you don’t have something useful to say, say nothing.

and just for useful reference, Adobe DNG Convert 12_2 works fine in Wine if you disable api-ms-core-winrt-error-11 using winecfg libraries override - you need .net, gecko etc so let it install if not already there:
https://www.wokaweb.net/dng-conversion-wine

unfortunately DPP4 still doesn’t run in wine but rawtherapee 5.8 (repo) works great with .CR3 in 18.04

(would be nice if the Win7 version gets sorted)

Which part of my comment would you consider arrogant?

I don’t have to ask, I already know. The answer is in the link I already provided you.

This is not Free and Open Source Software, and thus is of little consequence here.

i was told the original post was rude so i changed to “arrogant”…and you’ve done it again
(eg. why should a company give up trade secrets so you get stuff free…)

the solution if you can’t open the CR3 files is to convert to DNG - this tells you how to easily convert to DNG on Linux so you can use Darktable without direct CR3 support - take your head out your ****…might not be open source but it’s free to download from Adobe for those that need it

do you just sit and troll here or do you ever contibute something useful…don’t answer I don’t care, I’m not feeding you any more, take a hike and go troll somewhere else, or better still stay here cause I’ve got better things to do than teach you how the world works…

Mica’s perspective on how the open source world works is quite astute. Writing this sort of software is challenging even with the requisite information, and decoding raw formats is especially vexing due to the unwillingness of the camera manufacturers to publish the specs. Some fields in some formats are even encrypted.

I don’t know the specifics, but the CR3 format was especially challenging to the programmers that develop and maintain the FOSS raw libraries. Those are libraw and rawspeed; libraw has CR3 support in its recent release candidate; I don’t know where rawspeed is. AFAIK dt uses rawspeed; RT uses an internally- developed library that surrounds draw, a no- longer- maintained command line raw processor.

The open source world works at the behest and largess of a group of quite qualified developers who largely do not receive compensation for their efforts. Be kind to them, and in my experience they’ll consider your needs a lot more responsively than the commercial software houses…

Perhaps my original reply was a bit short, and I apologize for that. We’ve had the CR3 discission several times and have had many posts on how and why there isn’t support… Much of that information is in the link I provided in my original reply to this post.

It is highly doubtful it is a trade secret, but rather secrecy via obsecurity. Their obscurity in this case seems to be quite good.

I personally would like to know what is so secret in there.

I’ll remind you that communicating with respect is a requisite here. If you can’t be respectful, then this isn’t the place for you.

Yes, I contribute quite a few things, like the knowledge and links I’ve shared with you here, web design, proof reading of docs, the joys of image making, and moderation of this forum.

There is a full set of CR3 files from the EOS M6 ii on https://raw.pixls.us which all load fine in the latest development version of RawTherapee. The only thing that RT doesn’t support is the metadata handling. Using exiftool I can see that the firmware these pictures are taken with is 1.0.1.

If you believe the firmware upgrade somehow changed something in the file format, please upload a sample here and we can investigate. Currently, I don’t see a link to a file. If it is too large, consider using https://filebin.net