Can't Figure Out G'MIC Verbose Mode

I’m trying to get verbose mode working in G’MIC. I know how to install G’MIC and use the filters and I know how to set the output to verbose mode. The trouble is nothing is appearing in the console window.

I notice when I run GIMP from the console (using gimp-2.8 --verbose --console), I get a bunch of error messages whenever I have G’MIC installed. The messages are all something like this…

Failed to execute child process (Exec format error)

Querying plug-in: ‘C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\gmic-gimp-qt-2.1.9-win64\libbz2-1.dll’
GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in “libbz2-1.dll”
(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\gmic-gimp-qt-2.1.9-win64\libbz2-1.dll)

I’m guessing these errors are the reason G’MIC is not outputting to the console. I’ve tried fresh installs, both qt and gtk versions of G’MIC and also installing in the default location as well as installing into the plugins folder in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0

A google search doesn’t seem to find anyone having the same issue so, it’s probably something obvious. Anyway, I’m done bashing my head against a wall and hope someone helpful here will enlighten me.

@martinistripes Welcome to the forum!

In terms of gmic (CLI), it does have its own verbose levels. E.g., to increase verbose level then decrease it, you would do gmic v + sp tiger v -. Or you could specify the actual values.

I don’t know if I answered your question but you may have stumbled upon a(n unrelated?) bug.

Thanks for your welcome afre. I don’t want to use the CLI just yet. I’m trying to get the GUI to output in verbose mode to the console so I can see what commands and values, I need for the CLI when I come to use it later.

I’ve been trying to follow the excellent G’MIC batch processing guide on paulsphotopalace. I just can’t get any filter information to display in the cmd window regardless of what I have the output set to in the GUI.

In the GUI, if you set the Output to Verbose: Layer Name you’ll get the gmic command as the gimp layer name. Very useful for remembering at a later date what you did.

Hello @martinistripes, I admit I never tried the Verbose [console] mode on Windows so far. It should work anyway, what G’MIC does is simply output log text in stderr which is pretty standard way of doing logs :slight_smile:
Other options, as @paperdigits suggests is to use Verbose [layer name] then copy/paste the output layer name, or use Verbose [logfile] which should output a file in your %APPDATA/gmic/ folder .

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I’ll use the logfile or layer output for now.

@martinistripes I regularly use the New layer(s) + Verbose (layer name) combination to keep track of all of my processing steps in GIMP.