Can't rename mask in grp

Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045.

That looks so nice, but the bottom input line never shows up.

No dev version for Windows, afaics?

As far as I can see from your screen copy, kofa, you have double clicked the line with the ‘on-off’ symbol.
I can do that too, an that changes the mask name in general, i.e. same new name under each group, and the problem remains - they are all still identical.

Only if you try to rename the isolated ‘circle #1’ in the line right over the bottom line, the name will be changed for that group - ‘color balance rgb’ - only - and that’s what I want.

There are nightly builds available …if that is what you mean or do you mean you are not on one?? You can just click the DT logo to see your version…

This is a bit older maybe two weeks or so??

Yes, it says 4.2.1, but apparently no dev version is available for Windows.

Yes they are that is what I am saying…if you see I am on 4.3 +1954…

I don’t think you can do this…you can rename it but I think that carries through to all modules …sound like you are hoping to copy it and modify it slightly and rename it?? Maybe you can but I think the element is a fixed entity once you create it…changing it anywhere will change it everywhere…

You can duplicate it and rename that… perhaps you can work with that…

Yes, I think we can - renaming in general to another common name would be worthless. Here is an example from YT - and I have seen another:

So I think what you want you would do like this… Here as an example I added 3 drawn elements to exposure…this creates a group and the individual mask list… In that list I right clicked on the path and duplicated it several times… Now you can rename these and modify them slightly based on the original and then use them in any module group you create or use… Does that give you what you need…

No, for the copy option is not available in Win 4.2.1 - otherwise it would.

We may be going a bit in circles but sure you can name that one mask whatever you want… then if you reuse it and rename it and modify it , it will not be a new instance…it will change all the instance in all the modules to that name and that defined range… at least that is what I understand to happen… you made it sound like you want to re use a path with incremental changes and have a new name associated to indicate what it is doing… i think then you need to be working on copies for this to work… but I am as always glad to be wrong…

Are you right clicking down on the mask outside of the group??

Sorry I don’t have 4.21 anymore to know if this is newly added…

Before we go further, I am installing 4.3.0 for Win.
Will be back when done.

1 Like

NP I.m heading out… you can run it in parallel or really I have no issues with versions only a few days old at home on my PC…

For me if you have 50 mask elements in your edit they will be in the list at the bottom. Here you rename them. Then you can combine those building blocks there or as a result of your selections in the modules while your are editing… The groups only show you what elements are used in a certain module and how they are specified to combine… THe list of individual masks is found below the groups… So I think if this duplicate is a recent feature and you upgrade then you are all set…

I have got it. It can work now.

But it would be more intuitive in the way I thought it worked.

Now I can do the copy - replacement.

Thank you - all.

Here, the masks under group ‘color balance rgb’ and group ‘local contrast’ have the same name, because they are the same mask (there is only one mask, applied to several modules). If I resize, move, or otherwise adjust one of them, ‘all of them’ will be adjusted, because they are all the same instance, not copies of an instance.

Here I add a mask to exposure, then add it to local contrast as well; see what happens when I move the mask in local contast: the area affected by the exposure adjustment will follow – because exposure and local contrast use the same shape.

I have the understanding that a mask with the same name, e.g. ‘m’ ,will act globally as long as it is not renamed. So, if changes are made to that shape in one module, they will affect all other modules where the shape ‘m’ is included.

That’s why I want to rename the original shape (a detailed path, in this case) with a unique name for each module in which it thereafter will be changed in different ways. I think I in this way avoid such changes to echo back to the modules where the original shape has been used as a starting point.

True or false?

I would say…so you draw the complicated path…now how many versions do you want?? So then make that many copies or you can do it as you go along …so make a copy and call it mask_mod1 then you can modify that one which is a copy of your complex path and then use that mask in any module that needs the tweaked one… if you need another tweaked version of either of those again copy it and then name it as you like and then you can apply and perform the desired additional adjustment… so stopping there you would have 3 unique masks based on that original one (original +2) and they would be able to be used in any module that you like or combined as well for a new mask…

1 Like

True, I take that as a confirmation of my description ‘I have the understanding …’.

Running the 4.3.0 now for Windows.

Thank you.